A-level Composition and Brass Band Marches

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet_player, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

For my A-level Music Im writting a composition in the style of a brass band march and have been given a list of recommended marches. These are;

Death or Glory- R B Hall
    The Standard of St George- Alford
    The Thunderer- Sousa
    True and Trusty- Greenwood

I cant find anywhere that sells the scores for them as I need to study the way that a brass band is scored for as apposed to a orchestra.

Has anyone got any ideas where I might be able to get hold of scores for any of the above?

Many Thanks

2. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

Hi Heather,

I've got the March "Death or Glory" at home. As far as I can remember there is no score. I think I used the solo-cornet part to conduct (I think some of the other parts are written as small notes in the solo-cornet part).

I can send you a copy if you want. Please let me know what you want to do.

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Who gave you the list of marches?

I'm not sure about either "Death or Glory" or "True and Trusty", but I am certain that neither "Standard of St George" nor "Thunderer" are true brass band marches at all; they are military/wind band marches that have also been arranged for brass band. I am also fairly confident that none of them have ever had full scores published.

I think your best bet is to contact Wright & Round. They have recently undertaken an exercise to originate full scores of several classic brass band marches which have never previously been published with full scores - off the top of my head I know that Rimmer's "Black Knight" and "Avenger" have been published, and there are probably others.

Good luck!

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Of those, only True and Trusty is an authentic BB march, the others being composed for nasty wind bands. (Well I'm assuming that the RB Hall opus is a wind band piece since he was American...)

I would suggest that you explore the Wright and Round catalogue since they publish full scores for a number of classic BB marches, including Ravenswood, The Cossack, Honest Toil, Cornish Cavalier etc. Any survey of BB marches which didn't include some by William Rimmer is going to be incomplete!

Look also at the SA catalogue since they generally publish full scores: Star Lake (Ball), Goldcrest and Praise (Heaton) would get you going nicely in the right direction.
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Well said Gareth! Great minds etc.

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed! David is absolutely right about the SA marches as well; you might even be able to find a local SA centre with a brass band library who may be prepared to loan you some scores. Remember, however that in SA brass band scoring the division of cornets differs from that of standard brass band convention, as indeed does the way in which they are used.

7. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

It doesnt surprise me that they are not traditional Brass Band marches as the list was given to me by a Brass Tutor at school but hes a French Horn player!

Ive got Solo Cornet Parts for all of the marches because Ive played them with bands but I need to compare how they are actually scored so they dont help. My bandmaster has always conducted from the solo part.

Thanks for your advice I will try the Salvation Army.
  8. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'm not sure I'd recommend Heaton's "Praise" as a typical BB march, it's too original for that! Generally speaking, SA marches tend not to follow quite the same conventions of other BB marches (i.e. contest march style), though in form they they mostly do. Some "safe" SA conventional march writers include Bramwell Coles, George Marshall, and Arthur Gullidge. They are all dead, but I think the writers on the suggested list are also.
  9. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Im not concerned about the form or structure of the marches just how they have been scored for!