A-level class and Trumpet/cornet Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hunnybun_hannah, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I have to give a presentation on mutes to my A-level class on monday, after searching the internet i can only find very detailed descriptions of how they work and need a simpler version. I was wondering if anyone could help me or direct me to some information. I need to know about straight mutes; harmon mutes; cup mutes and plungers.Thanks lots.
    Han xx

2. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Go to a local music shop and ask them about looking at their accessory catalogue, and there are simple descriptions of mutes. Otherwise, in the mute boxes themselves there are handouts that explain about the mute in question.

Simply, I would imagine that mutes interrupt the physical vibration sound waves that are produced through the embouchure that is sent around the instrument and then out of the bell. Hence the sound is quieter or completely different. The vatious mutes allow more or less air and sound waves to escape...I think....

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. Thanks that's fab, wikipedia to the rescue once again.
    Han x

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This presentation is to other msuic students?

My suggestion would be to give a bit of the manufacturer's blurb (the Wick descriptions are quite good), then play the same passage of music using each mute - then they can hear (hopefully - if they have any sort of aural awareness) what the actual differences are, not just what the differences are on paper.
    Make you audience do some work as well as you:biggrin:

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- only if we assume that she plays trumpet/cornet or trombone ;)

9. Hey,
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am their teacher(on my first teacher training placement) and i play cornet and trumpet, i've been teaching haydn's trumpet concerto - analysis, now they need to know about the trumpet and mutes etc.Han xx

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

If you are the teacher, I would definitely recommend showing your ability by polaying to them. Much of the time music teachers are not always recognised as musicians by their students - this could really give them a good dose of aural awareness, as well as demonstrating to them that you can perform as well as teach:biggrin:

Just a thought - have you been using recordings of the Haydn? If so, have you played them any versions done on keyed trumpet? One of my students was studying this piece a couple of years ago, when they heard it on a keyed trumpet (not played by me, I hasten to add) they said that the piece made a great deal more sense afterwards.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet
    anyone
    class
    descriptions
    A-level
  12. Thank you lots!

Hey,
    We have already listened to versions of keyed trumpet and discussed performance practice issues) plus a modern cd recording and i have played the final movement to them on Eb and Bb trumpet and cornet so they could hear what each instrument sounded like.In addition to this we did a class performance - arranged by me for 2 clarinets, double bass, timpani, oboe and Eb trumpet, which worked really well and have done a detailed analysis of each movement. They have also be learning about the trumpet so for the final lesson i am teaching them about different techniques and mutes - so they can try to trace a development from Haydn to now and link it to the jazz they have to study. I basically need the information for a handout which i can give to them to revise from after the class and didnt want anything too complicated as they only need to know the basics. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Han xx