A Gallimaufry Suite - your first thoughts.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toppy the tenor, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Hello fellow 3rd Section-ers!

Just thought I'd canvass some opinion on our test piece for Harrogate. Have many bands had a chance to have a look at it yet? We've blown through it a couple of times and there's certainly more in there than you think once you start to dig. I think it's going to be a real winner and everyone will enjoy rehearsing and performing it.

Good luck to the quartets at the beginning of movement 3. Imodium at the ready!!

Cheers

Toppy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    more
    times
    3rd Section-ers
    beginning
    movement
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

(http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14714)

Had a first glance at this last night, seems prettty good, lots in it for everyone and sounds like it'll be very listenable.
    1st movt is a 6/8 fanfare+theme, think I heard bits of John Williams and Aeronauts in there.
    2nd movt is a dance in 10/8, not fast (crotchet =102), but tricky as there's lots of ties in awkward places. A bit like Serenade by Derek Borgeious (sp?)
    3rd movt is a hymn tune, starts as a quartet for cornet, baritone, trom and euph (bit different!) then whole band comes in. At pp! The loudest dynamic in the whole movt is mp and it's max speed crotchet=60. I reckon this one will sort the winners out, to play tutti, pp in tune, and together, slowly, is very difficult. (Did the composer read this month's 4BR editorial I wonder, and think "Right, this'll sort you blowers out....?)
    4th movt starts off as a "jig"in 4/4, bit technical but just needs practice, then goes into 3/2 for finale reprising bits of the 1st movt, which looks like a fair blow (ff for two or three lines sustained) then big percussion ending.
    Interesting!

Having played it a bit more now, I still think the 3rd movt will sort out the winner(s). And the tempos are critical too, some of them are relative, so if you go too slow/fast one place it ruins the tempo elsewhere.

Lot of people going to be practicing hymns quiet+slow between now and September!

4. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

An interesting score. In most places the tempi are specified in detail but in other places it is open to interpretation.

I would be interested to know what 'molto vigoroso' is meant to imply at the end of the last movement - it will need to be molto molto if our sop player is expected to cope without a second pair of lungs !!

5. Bassintheballroom

Bassintheballroom New Member

I've played it through a few times now, and as a piece of music, I quite like it. Unfortunately it's on the pile of music which I'm happy to play through a couple of times but don't like to work on!

In my opinion, there is very little of interest for the Eb bass (my current instrument), and I don't feel that I'm being tested by the piece really. Of course, that does give me the opportunity to work on tuning (especially all the D's in the first mvt) and musicality, but this isn't easy when the instrument is going cold between each play-through because of the time spent on the parts which have some interest in them.

So, I find it a disappointment, especially given that I really liked Tam O'Shanter, and this is my first Nationals!

Am I alone in this? :confused:

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

In my opinion, there is very little of interest for the Eb bass (my current instrument), and I don't feel that I'm being tested by the piece really. Of course, that does give me the opportunity to work on tuning (especially all the D's in the first mvt) and musicality, but this isn't easy when the instrument is going cold between each play-through because of the time spent on the parts which have some interest in them.

Its a bit like that on 3rd cornet aswell. And when we do play its mainly the same as the 2nd cornets.

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

9. The_Eighth_Dwarf

The_Eighth_Dwarf New Member

Bah, Hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it! :(

Bring back Tam O'Shanter. My oppinion is that Gallimauwhaterveritis is a bit of a let down after Tam.

10. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

Tam O'Shanter it aint !!!! pity !, was a much better piece.

Can I wish all at Dearham the best of luck at the finals, especially with their very late change in M.D. due to an unforseen illness by our usual M.D.

I also like to wish Mark all the very best for a speedy recovery and get back to band soon...........the horns will start missing him...................they don't get the same praise when he's not there... hehe :p .

Good Luck to all !! :clap: :clap: :clap: and save a few beers for me, I intend propping up a bar somewhere, well, till the bar lets go of me and I fall over.

11. Norman Short

Norman Short New Member

Do you happen to know if there is a recording of this work ?
    regards Norman Short

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    more
    times
    3rd Section-ers
    beginning
    movement
  13. jim

jim Member

As far as Im aware an official recoding hasn't been made, although I have sugested it to Mr Harper! but Dolce recodings recorded all the performancses of it at harrogate if you email Gareth or James on there they may advise you on if you can get any live ones.

Dloce are normally advertised on 4br.

14. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

My old band Phoenix (West Midlands) have their live recording from the Nationals on their latest cd, if you're interested.

15. Norman Short

Norman Short New Member

Thanks,
    Could you please let me know the name of the new Phoebix band cd.
    regards Norman

16. 24aw

24aw Member

well if its the peice i think it is, Its a pile of rehashed windband cheese.........the audience will like it im sure and its better than some contempory alternatives.............btw the only recording i am aware of is the royal northen college of music windband who recorded it in the mid 90's under the baton of Timothy Reynish i think. I only know that staggering infomation cos my mates bird played on it.:)

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Your mistaken there; there's no connection between Guy Woolfenden's "Gallimaufry", based on music written originally for the RSC, and the piece in question.

18. 24aw

24aw Member

righty oh thanks for clearing that one up...I sure we wouldnt want to dive into the wondefull wind band rep too much.......far to limp wristed for brass bands;)

19. Norman Short

Norman Short New Member

Gaullimaufry Suite - on CD ?

Could anyone assist me with the purchase of a cd with Gaullimaufry Suite recorded on it please ? regards Norman

20. Lotta

Lotta Member

Hi

I have sent you a PM with details on a CD recording

x

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm confused; isn't Gallimaufry the home planet of the Time Lords?

Is this a set of variations on the Doctor Who theme tune?

... :oops:

22. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

With the subtitle "National Air" :?: ;) :oops: