A dream realised. thanks Nigel

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by super_sop, Jul 24, 2006.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

When I first started playing in the late 70’s early80’s (I won’t say witch!) there was a programme on the BBC called the Best of Brass. Some of you will know it most won’t! It was a brass band competition, and quickly helped me keep my interest in brass bands, whilst getting picked on and beaten up at school for taking up such a “girly” hobby.

One of the bands who did well in this competition at the time was the Yorkshire imperial metals band or the “Imps”. This band very quickly became one of my favourite bands, and still is to this day. So imagine my surprise, when 4 years ago I met one of their current players. A member of this forum in its very early days and member of the tmp test the nation team. We quickly got talking (and drunk) and got to know each other well. He got me interested in playing again and persuaded me to join Wem. To this day I am very grateful to Nigel for this, and even more so now.

I had a call off Nigel last week asking if I could help him out on a job. I didn’t realise at first who it was, and couldn’t believe it when I realised it was Sudcornet, and he was asking me if I could play on a job with my favourite band!
    After double checking my diary and explaining to Karen who he was and who the imps were I got permission to ring him back and accept (like she could have stopped me!)
    So Sunday morning I got in the car and travelled over to Birmingham to meet up with the band in the Birmingham Conservatoir. The concert was part of the International trombone festival, and the band was to accompany three of the worlds top trombone players.
    Ian Bousfield, tenor trombone
    Wycliffe Gordon, tenor trombone
    Ben van Dijk, bass trombone.
    The day just got better and better! Here was me realising the dream of a life time.

We started off at 11.30 for a rehearsal with the soloists and to say I was nervous would be an understatement. I was ****** terrified! I was sat playing 3rd cornet and Nige really did look after me doing his best to put my nerves at ease.
    After the rehearsal it was back upstairs to put on the jacket I have always wanted to wear, and get ready for the concert.
    We lined up outside the stage entrance and it struck me that I was to lead on the cornet section of my favourite band!!
    The concert itself went down really well, the soloists as Nige said earlier in a post were outstanding with Wycliffe Gordon, really stealing the show.

So what’s the point of this post?

To say thank you to Nigel Sutherland and the band of the Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel Brass Band, for giving me the opportunity to play along, and to realise a dream I never thought I would achieve. I Had a fantastic day out all be it a little daunted by the experience. I haven’t stopped beaming since Nige took a picture of my in one of the band Jackets.
    Thanks Guys!!:tup
    Craig

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nige
    tromboneWycliffe Gordon
    Dijk
    Nigel Sutherland
    Karen
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Aww well done Craig :clap:

And you look much smarter in that jacket than you do in that Magnum PI shirt ;) :tongue:

4. super_sop

:oops: cheers i think!:p
    it was a fantastic day out mate:tup

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

That's a superb story Craig, and I am delighted for you - I really am. Congrats mate, you deserve it. Well done.

And a big thank you to Nigel aka Sudcornet for offering Craig this wonderful opportunity.

A win all round me thinks...:)

6. Di

Di Active Member

Woww! Happy Craigy. Well done matey. :clap:

7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Craig,

Firstly the official bit - many thanks for helping us out (& same to the couple of other deps too) ! It was a pretty prestigious concert and nice to have a darned decent band to turn out on the day for what was quite a demanding program.

Secondly, thanks for voicing how I've been feeling for the past 9 months - they may not now be quite the band I remember from the 70/80s but I too can still remember Ray Farr with "The Peanut Vendor" etc on the telly, and playing with the Imps was always one of my "things to do before I'm 40..." too !!

Oh, and thirdly, thanks to Ian bousfield and Ben van Dijk for being fantastically outstanding soloists, both giving tremendously technical and enjoyable performances within their genres, but (and I think I speak for most people present at the gig) many deep bows of homage to Wycliffe Gordon - the man is an absolute god !! At rehearsal for his piece "Me-We" he just said "I'll do a little bit here and then there's a 'call and response' bit with the band". The parts just said "short trombone cadenza" and a couple more times "more trombone cadenza" but when it came to the performance this translated as several minutes each time of lip slurs, trills, multi-octave-leaps, pedals, polyphonics, ppppppp's, ffffffffffffff's - the band were left in absolute awe.

Ron

p.s. - yes, the first thing I did when I started with the band was to get a photo of myself in Imps uniform & e-mail it to my mum !!

p.p.s hope you've recovered from the excess of cheese and Branston sandwiches

p.p.p.s. (and from the adverse effects of such sandwiches on certain Bass trom / BBb players......)

8. super_sop

it was a cracking band and a very demanding programme, if you gave one of our 3rd cornets a high Bb,i think they would feint!!

Few!! glad its not just me, they were and still are a fantastic organisationone of my favourite moments was the introduction of the special "wind thingy" for indiana jones!!![/quote]

just about sums it up!!!!

gota print me off a coppy so i can send me ma one!

lol they were good!

No comment!!!

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Glad you were able to take up the offer to help out, and that it all came off successfully :clap:

I've also got special memories of Ray Farr bringing Imps up to Sunderland when we were there, and my old mate Dave Mathewman bringing the house down with "Peanut vender".

There's definitely something special about playing with a band that has a particular reputation, and it's good to hear things are going well for the band at the moment.

10. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Nice one Craigy, :clap:

I'm so pleased for you. It's obvious that it ment so much to you. Lets hope that you get more oportunities like this in the future.
    Congratulations, you really do deserve it matey.
    Fee
    xxx

11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Well done. It's always a great personal triumph to achieve one of your childhood dreams, then once you have done, you realise that it wasn't that scary after all!

My dream was to play with a major symphony orchestra. I did that in 1999, now all I have to do is string enough work together to pay the bills! A much more difficult prospect!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nige
    tromboneWycliffe Gordon
    Dijk
    Nigel Sutherland
    Karen
  13. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I believe Ian Bousfield would have been a member of Imps on those Best of Brass programmes (?) He certainly played with Imps when they won the Nationals in 1978 playing Checkmate - he was 14 then!

14. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Cheers Craig,

It's actually me who needs to thank you....loads. Couldn't have done it without you. It was a pretty tricky programme to do on such limited rehearsal time, so, I think hearty pats on the back all round.

Now I've got your mobile number you can be sure of getting future calls to help out and I'll try to give you a bit more notice....but, I can't guarantee that we'll have the same quality of soloists!!

I know what you mean about Imps....I still have a sense of pride wearing the uniform...I think the whole band does....and, yes, my mum has a pic of me in it!

I gave Ian Bousfield and his wife a lift to catch the band bus.....he was actually just 13 when he started with Imps at Graham Walker's invitation. He said he'd stormed the solo in the band's legendary performance of "Checkmate" 'cos nobody told him it was hard! Thoroughly nice bloke and a tremendous trombonist.

Thanks again mate,

Sud.

BTW: All three soloists have agreed to do more work with the band in the future...so, watch this space!

15. TinklePipe

TinklePipe New Member

Can I just say thank you to Craig for playing, I'm incredibly disappointed :( I couldn't make the ITF job (I usually play 3rd with Nigel) but due to other committments (let's not get into that!) my situation fulfilled your dream :clap: so I feel happier about it!

I was at earlier rehearsals for the ITF and was blown away by their (Ben & Ian) individual standard, the musicianship and technical ability was amazing, it's a real pity I wasn't around to see them perform 'live on stage', reading all this I'm very much regretting it!

Like many other views expressed here I'm also proud to wear the Imps uniform. As a young brass player, my mum used to tell me stories about the works band at the Yorkshire Copper Works, where she was employed in the mid 60s/early 70s. It was always her ambition for me to play with them given their successful history, but realistically I thought it would never happen. Eventually after many years the chance arrived, somewhat unexpectedly as I'd not touched an instument in 13 years :eek: ! Not realising I was going to rehearse with the Imps I wasn't nervous until I saw a 'You know when you've been IMPressed' sticker on the cornet case I was handed and then I could have done with some Imodium!

Needless to say after one rehearsal I was hooked and have really enjoyed the last 20 months, although it's been tough it's been worth it! I'm honoured to be a part of the band, we have a great team and things are really going well. With our new resident MD appointment and a number of high profile successful jobs and recordings behind us this year the band are on very good form and are looking forward to other challenges over the coming months, especially the Open!

Although I won't be participating (let's not get into that either!) I'd like to wish the band 'good luck' and apologise for not attending! I know there is some strength of feeling about my abscence and I am truly sorry I can't make it :oops: . I know we are capable of doing well and will be annoyed for years if we get the result I think we can acheive and I'm not around to be part of it!

Enjoy the weeks rest.

Richard
    Publicity Manager
    Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel Band

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Courtesy of the British Trombone Society site, here's a photo of the band in action:

Attached Files:

17. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Thanks Peter,

I'd ask for a pic of Wycliffe in action, though I doubt you'd see his slide - it would either be blurred or shrouded in smoke......

18. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Hey Craig.

Glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your day out with the imps. It was a fair change to not see you in a dress (i think the last time i saw you was pontins properlly) and very good to catch up etc. From the sounds of it it was everything you had hoped for.

I think going on nigels point there is a sense of pride wearing the uniform.. although im waiting for the jacket without the hole in the sleeve before i get my picture in it. I do have one in the walking out jacket but it aint the same.

If all the soloists have agreed to do things with the band in the future then that also means less work for me too :clap: . Smiles all round there then. Bar Ben Van Dike who is obviously a bass trombone player.

PS Craig if you never aim high you will never reach the stars.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  19. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Wheeey!! Get you Craig!! :biggrin::biggrin::clap::clap: Sounds like you had a fantaaaaaaaastic time! :biggrin::biggrin:

And if you don't mind me saying dear.. That jacket really brings out your eyes! ;):tongue: