A Devon Fantasy 4th section area piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigman_holland, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Hi, Does anyone know if there is a new version of this available, or is our old yellow copy still the one to use for the up coming area contests? someone i know says it requires at least 2 percussionists, but we are going to struggle with that. is it a necessity to have more than one?
  2. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I bought a new score to use and it is the same as the old one in the band library. The percussion can be played by one player, and is written on one part.
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

The reprint is awful, they haven't even proof read it, only played it once and found loads of errors...save the £50 and just use your old copies (which have probably been corrected in the past).

As for percussion, it looks like one competent player should be able to do it.
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Here we go again reprinted parts and loads of errors ;
    It's just not on when bands have to pay out for music if they have not got it.:mad:

Bands :hammer

5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

That's it Ian, they've blatantly just photocopied the originals and blown them up to A4. A few missing accidentals, or dynamics etc you can let go, as its easy to miss stuff while proof readying. However when parts are missing things such as key changes, contain blatantly obvious wrong notes, its just not on.

I don't know the legal issues (copyright etc), but surely if an old piece is chosen for a big event, a publisher could re-typeset the piece using sibelius? It'd take someone, at most, a day to re input the score!
  6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

If they're working at speed/in haste, yes. If you want to reproduce the same errors/ommissions, that's fine. But to produce a corrected edition, and have it typeset neatly (quite astounding how many basic errors, such as 'spelling' of accidentals, or unclear notation of rhythms/rests still come around) is a slightly taller order. I for one would happily volunteer for such work.

There is certainly a call for it, though, particularly if yellow music is to be set as a current test piece - and it would certainly make it worth the expense of going for a "new" edition if it was going to present a practical improvement on the old. Besides correcting any errors, a lot of the old printing is small and hard to read, particularly when parts issued as new are poor reproductions of a grubby original - "A Downland Suite" being a woeful example of this type (also notable for completely random rehearsal marks in some parts!).

The list of 'classics' which need revising is a lengthy one, and for me, this is something that people like the Brass Band Archive and BBE could do well to address.
  7. As for percussion, it looks like one competent player should be able to do it.[/QUOTE]

thats what i thought. it just threw me when it said on the percussion list we got from the committee that there are 3 parts!!!
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It might take a day to re-input the score (working flat out), but I very much doubt that the errors would get cleaned up in the process. Plus it's crucial that whoever enters it avoids introducing new errors.

What's needed here is re-editing and typesetting, and I reckon that's a good week's hard graft for a competent musician. It's a skilled job and requires a certain amount of musical judgement, including a knowledge of Eric Ball's compositional style. There might well be notes that are blatantly wrong, but have two or three workable alternatives, all of which could change the nature of the chord drastically.

These days it's a lot easier to re-typeset music than is used to be. Back in the day, litho plates for music printing were hand engraved in negative, and once they were made it would take a complete disaster for them to be chucked out and made again. However now, nobody (with any sense) will be printing this way. They'll have scanned the original score and parts in and printed from the resulting PDFs, so the only real cost involved would be the time taken to re-edit and typeset a new version.

There's a decent size list of brass band "classics" that could really do with re-editing, including most of Gilbert Vinter's output, and it would certainly make for an interesting project. However, consider for a minute the fuss about "blatant profiteering" and "taking money out of banding" that would result from a "new" version of an Eric Ball piece being used which requires every band to buy a new set instead of using the originals in their library. I can hear the moaning now... :)
  9. slider

slider Member

We had our first blow through it on Sunday. It is a pretty dull composition, and I'm not sure what merits it has as a test piece. To me it sounds like a piece written by a man struggling with his faith and going though the motions of drafting music. If the committee that selected it wants to introduce "lesser" known Eric Ball pieces to band contests I would suggest they look in The Salvation Army back catalogue (which is typeset to a very high standard).
    For Championship Section I suggest Exodus
    First Section - The Old Wells
    Second Section - Kingdom Triumphant
    Third Section
    Fourth Section - The Pilgrim Way
  10. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

you have to wonder why the hell the powers that be pick such music. How the hell are you supposed to attract young players when you make them play that **** twice a week for probably 5 or 6 weeks ?

and yes, my band is 4th section
  11. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

It has taken nearly 60 years to get the parts right !!
    And i really really look forward to listening to the Bands that treat the music with contempt.
    Good luck. !
  12. slider

slider Member

We won't under-estimate the technical and artistic requirements of Devon Fantasy. After English Folk Songs last year I'm sure many bands would have preferred a modern piece, or a top shelf Eric Ball classic.
  13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

there is plenty in this to get right (and plenty to get wrong!!)
  14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

"Song of Courage" might be a better choice these days in terms of difficulty ...
  15. JR

JR Member

When we did the workshop for ABBA a few weeks ago we played from the 56 year old parts - most of the mistakes are of the Sybil Fawlty (bleedin' obvious) type and had been corrected years ago - except the daft mis-placement of the flats in the bass trom part, possibly in the slow movt.

I'm afraid I played it at the Area in the old 3rd section in 1974 - and I remember younger band members moaning (correctly!) that it was dated even then...(Good job we got Gregson's Partita the year after)

I can't understand the massive discrepancy in terms of percussion requirements between Devon and Hollywood for the 3rd - are we saying percussion doesnt matter in the 4th?

And of course, it puts a lot of pressure on the Principal Cornet..

16. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Mr Sparke' excellent Saint Saens Variations produced 25 entries in the Midlands 3years ago, this years entrty a mere 19 in comparison.
    The qualifiers will then be invited to spend £1,000s attending Cheltenham and asked to play something way beyond the competences demonstrated in qualifying.

Is it too radical to set the finals piece first, then select music for qualifying accordingly.?
    Or is it really a doormat numbers game in the bottom division?
  17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You'll never get away from this - it's a necessary part of it being the entry level for the area competition.
  18. boourns

boourns Member

You are implying this is due to the choice of music, but did the Midlands not redistribute their sections this year in a similar way to the North West? I think I'm right in saying that the NW promoted seven (?) bands from the 4th, with no relegation from the 3rd. If the Midlands did the same this would explain the disparity.
  19. Brian

Brian Member

The Midlands promoted 4bands from 4th to 3rd section, and relegated 2 bands from 3rd to 4th section; also the 19 bands include 2 new bands this year
  20. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

I am making a parrallel link to JRs cogent point of "interest" in the music with our younger players.
    JRs comparison is of 1974, my first experience of the piece was in 1960 Corn Exchange Doncaster, and i wasnt enthused as an 8 year old.