A damp problem

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, May 4, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello Dearest tMPers,

I have a little problem with my cornet.... its being silly and quite frankly its starting to get on my nerves a bit now!

For some reason my cornet won't empty itself fully of water :confused: i've only noticed the past couple of weeks.... and i played lots of random notes just now and its mainly on middle c# and the low d that its really really crackley.

I took all three valves out one at a time and there was a little droplet of water in each of them on the dippy in holey bits (do they have a name?) so i emptied it out and put it back for each valve... sure enough it was nice and clear... but then 2 seconds later it came back again :| so i think i sussed out that its not the valves thats the problem... but what is?

I've got a besson sov so its got triggers on the first and third valve slides... meaning i can't just whip them out and empty the water..... what do I do? I don't want to sound all crackley forever!

Muchly thanking you in advance
    Fi the Thicko
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  2. diddle e donk

diddle e donk New Member

take off the triggers and empty the slides but try the middle valve slide first its normally that little ****** where all the water stops. failing that throw it away and get a yamaha
  3. you may have already tried it but try turning the insrument round and round. It may clear all the water out without taking the triggers off but im a euph player so im not entirely sure. failing that then i would also take the triggers off. Oh yeah and your right it normally is the 2nd valve slife on euphs as well.:p
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You could also trying using a hairdryer - stick it down the bell and leave it for a few minutes. Don't forget to use all valve combinations so that the hot air goes round the entire instrument. You'll also probably need to re-oil everything afterwards because valves etc will also dry out.
  5. It could be caused by the angle your holding it. There may be places water can collect, at that angle, which need tilting the other way? Or maybe you're holding it at the wrong angle when blowing the water out? Just a random thought, as I sometimes get a similar problem which I haven't properly sorted out yet.
  6. blinddogjohn

blinddogjohn New Member

Take the second slide out tilt the cornet bell upwards hold down 2nd and 3rd valves and blow the water through the second slide which should be facing downwards.

After doing this make a habit of emptying the 3rd slide spit valve more frequently making sure the drain hole is the lowest point of gravity.

OR change your spit keys for the ones fitted to Getzen instruments.

Does any one know if they still make "Spit Balls" that you can blow through.

7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Check the hole for the water to come out on your 3rd valve key, they can (and do) block up with cack. A matchstick may also help, but don't poke anything sharp or metal in there in case you damage it. If it's blocked no amount of blowing will shift any water out of there. The problem with low C# and D points to 3rd valve as where the water's trapped.

One thing to try which I got from here, soak your cornet (valves out) in a sink full of lukewarm water for a couple of hours with four spoons of baking soda in, or half a tube a Steradent (same thing nicer smell!). Then rinse thoroughly with clean water. Will gradually dissolve any deposits inside and out, but gentle enough not to ruin anything, works a treat!
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

get a few small bags of Silica Gel , seems to work wonders getting rid of moisture ( just go to local hardware store or shoe shops might be able to help.
  9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Do you mean those awful push-button things? I would not recommend them at all - I've had three or for Getzen cornets in repair over the last few years because the spit keys either got jammed (push-button jammed in = air leak = useless instrument!) or completely fell off the instrument.
  10. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

When I saw this thread I thought.....

damp!!! the house is only 4 years old!!!
    she's let the shower spray outside the curtain and its leaking through the lights downstairs again!!!
    some serious personal medical problem!!!
    aren't all bandrooms damp...........
  11. meandmycornet

Mum.... you fool.... :tongue:

My cornet was considerably less bubbly at band last night.... and I didn't do anything... I must have just been playing really well! (I wish!!) but it was all bubbly again when I practiced at home today :confused:
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

A lot of players blow really, really hard to get water out. If you do this you will blow water past the holes for the water keys and into places where it can collect and lurk. Hold your cornet so the water key is the lowest part of the instrument and blow gently. Do the same with the 3rd valve slide key, and make sure you empty that one as often as you do the main one.

Of course if you already do this, maybe you have a drool problem! :D
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

You think you have a problem i play on a Besson Baritone it as got to be the worst instument i have had for filling up with water its a pain:mad: and is known as
    A WATERING CAN BARITONE at the end of practise you should see the damp patch on the floor where i sit its looks like a RIVER:biggrin:
  14. meandmycornet

thanks for that mr anno, i think you just hit the nail on the head! :tongue: I do seem to produce a lot of saliva when I'm playing :redface: my cornet seems to be ok again at the moment :confused: it goes through fazes of being really soggy and not soggy (because of obviously its the instruments fault not mine!!! :tongue: )
  15. MY 1st teacher once told me that if you dont end up with a river by your feet then your not playing hard enough. Then again it could just be a waterin can baritone : D