A Country Scene - Goff Richards - Programme Notes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Martin, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Martin

Martin Member

I need some programme notes for, 'A Country Scene' by Goff Richards, which I am using at a concert in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any information on the history of the piece and whether it is supposed to depict any part of the country or any particular aspect of country life. I've tried the obvious googling of the title but that doesn't reveal much.

Thanks in anticipation :)

2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Don't know much about the actual history but its a fantastic evocative piece that does just what it says on the tin i.e. depict a country scene.
    If you don't find anything and you just need an introduction, describe how music can paint a picture of country lanes, hedgerows, meadows etc. - the music will do the rest. One of my all time favourites and a good choice for a concert.
  3. Martin

Martin Member

Many thanks BigHorn. I share your admiration for the piece and think IMO it is one of the Brass Band classics.

If all else fails I will take up your suggestion.

4. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Martin, in the past i've described to the audience how music is structured (by and large) in set time signatures (something we take for granted but some in the audience may not fully appreciate), but this piece portrays a freeness and openness by using different time signatures and recitative passages in cornet and euphonium. So the changing meter takes away some predictability.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's not a lot of information about it, but it was written in 1985.
  6. Martin

Martin Member

Many thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated. :)