A concert reviews thread?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

One of the many plus factors about tMP is the fact that people from non contesting bands, contesting bands, 4th section, top section, whatever, can come on here and have a brass (and percussion!) related chat, daily if required. How about cementing this 'family' atmosphere by having a separate concert reviews forum? There's a thread for advertising our bands' concerts. What if a tMP member was earmarked to go along and report subjectively on what they saw and heard. (tMP's very own sage and wit, Peter Bale already contributes reviews to the 4barsrest site. How about here, too?)

No disrespect to top section bands, but by and large (even on 4barsrest) it's those bands' concerts that tend to get reviewed. Apart from the privilege of lower section bands seeing their concerts' reviews on the web, ('cos they're not likely to see them anywhere else!) it'd add a bit of spice to the evening for the band/s concerned knowing that someone from tMP is in the audience and going to publish a crit of the concert on this very site!

As I said, tMP is a great vehicle for players from all bands (and other brass related groups) to feel 'at home amongst friends'. Something like this would in my humble opinion, cement that view.

Is it practical? What do you feel?
  2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

well, in theory it will work just splendid. And Your little island is set up perfectly for such an activity. However, alas, I would use up all my frequent flyer miles in one trip over here.

But still, I LIKE IT!!!! :p
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I had considered you when writing that post! (Honest!) I believe there is at least one other Oz contributing here, so I suppose you could share the air miles between you! :) :)

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

It's a good idea Dave. However, personally I don't feel the need to create a seperate 'concert' review forum - what we need to do is promote the User Reviews forum we currently have : http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewforum.php?f=15 - and encourage people to post their own views and reviews of everything brass-related, including concerts.

As someone who regularly reads the concert reviews on 4barsrest - I agree 100% it's always the 'name' bands that are listed - it would be great if we could use tMP as a platform to review concerts for us lower section bands.

I'm sure this is an idea we can build on......any takers? Maybe we can start with one of the Christmas concerts currently listed in The Auditorium? Is there anyone going to the concert by Barnsley Building Society on Tuesday as advertised by geordiecolin?
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Dyl that we don't really need a separate thread, but should either use the User Reviews section, or even an additional posting in the Auditorium section.

Regarding any reviews on 4barsrest, I started sending in reviews (unsolicited) of concerts I have attended. Some (most in fact) were used, a couple were not, but sometimes, as with Grimethorpe's recent concert at Grays, they had received a report from someone more eminent than myself!

As it happens, most of the concerts I sent in reports for did happen to be "name" bands, but I am sure that they would be willing to post reports from other bands as well, either in the reviews section or as a news item. Put something together and send it in and see what happens (the email address is on the website).
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Great idea. I enjoy reading about other bands' programming and staging ideas. I'm sure that we could all learn a lot from this providing it's done with maturity and sensitivity*!

* since when was there a mature, sensitive music critic???
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

And people respect the reviews given and consider them for what they are - one person's opinion.....
  8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not me :oops: :oops:

Couldn't get the night off work!

But you should all go anyway!
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Wem Jubilee have their Christmas Concert tomorrow evening, so if any tMPer's fancy coming over for a blow and writing a review please feel free to do so. You would certainly be made very welcome.