A Burning Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 49045, Jan 24, 2008.

1. 49045

49045 New Member

Sorry if this is the wrong section (mods please feel free to move this thread).

I have a quick question.....My knowledge of music & brass bands is limited at best!

My question is ....How many Cornets, trombones, euphoniums, baritones, and tenor horns are there in a brass band?

I have googled this to death. I think I'm after the composition of a british brass band but am interesed in any answers!

My findings so far.... (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Cornets (8-10)
    Trombones (3)
    Euphoniums (2)
    Baritones (2)
    Tenor horns (3)

Is this right or should i keep looking?

Can anyone help!!!

2. brittm

brittm Member

The standard contesting band

1 Eb cornet
    9 Bb cornets
    1 flugal Horn
    3 Tenor horns
    2 Baritones
    2 Euphoniums
    2 tenor tombones
    1 bass trombone
    2 Eb Tubas
    2 Bb Tubas

3 Percussion
  3. Owen S

Owen S Member

Let me see.

Standard brass band scoring consists of:

4 x solo cornets in Bb (including principal cornets)
    1 x soprano cornet in Eb
    1 x repiano cornet in Bb (this is just the name for the part, the instrument is the same as for the other Bb cornets)
    2 x second cornets in Bb
    2 x third cornets in Bb
    1 x flugelhorn Bb
    solo, first and second tenor horns in Eb
    first and second baritones in Bb
    2 x euphoniums in Bb (same pitch as baritones)
    first and second tenor trombones in Bb
    bass trombone in Bb
    2 x Eb bass (tuba)
    2 x Bb bass (tuba)
    up to 3 or 4 percussion

The Salvation Army often add an extra solo horn and solo trombone to that list, plus their scoring split for the Bb cornets is different.
  4. 49045

49045 New Member

Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it.

if you would like to have a crack at the question yourselves (seeing as your the experts) its at

Edit: Potentially harmful link removed

Oh BTW how many people would usually be in a brass band?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Shouldn't that be Bass trombone in C?
    (I'm not really an expert in those slide things, but I thought the bass trombone was the only instrument in concert pitch and bass clef, while all other instruments are in their own natural pitch, Bb or Eb, and in treble clef?)
  6. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

You are correct.

Bass Trombones are in C. The only instrument (apart from tuned percussion) that are in C in a brass band.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Correct in the sense that bass trom players read concert pitch but ... I always thought the instrument was pitched in Bb?
  8. Owen S

Owen S Member

Well, being an ignorant cornet player, Wikipedia told me most modern bass trombones are pitched in Bb. They may be scored in C though, I don't tend to read many bass trombone parts.
  9. floppymute

floppymute Member

10. louise0502

louise0502 Member

It is, but only in the same way that a euphonium and tenor trombones are. They all still read bass clef and are written in C in military bands/all other bands.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's like saying all orchestral tuba players play instruments pitched in C ... :confused:

I have always known the traditional bass trom configuration to be Bb/F but then again ... :rolleyes:
  12. louise0502

louise0502 Member

Same here.
  13. hicks

hicks Member

14. louise0502

louise0502 Member

25 brass plus 2-4 percussion
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

From the Grove Dictionary ...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  17. Katy Hudson

Katy Hudson New Member

Depends what the name of your band is?

Depends what the name of your band is?! Our band now has 5 horns
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Even though band music is usually written for 25 players plus anything up to 4 percussionists, the only time that this is enforced on a band is at a contest and even then not in youth band contests where extra players are allowed. The National Youth Brass Band of Wales is a double band, and the NYBBGB always used to be a triple band, not sure if it still is.

So the maybe the answer should be - how many players can you get? :D

Oh and brass band bass troms are almost always pitched in Bb (in other words the fundamental tone in the closed position is a concert Bb) with an F trigger. I'm sure I've seen some with an additional E trigger to cover a few gaps/awkward slide moves at the bottom of the Bb register - I may have imagined that though ;) . Tenors are often Bb/F as well, in fact it's been noted elsewhere that without an F trigger the glissandi in the 1st/2nd trom parts of Dark Side of the Moon are not playable as written.
  19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The standard modern bass trombone tubing layout is

Open: Bb
    1st trigger: F
    (2nd trigger: Gb)
    Two triggers together: D

Generally written as Bb/F/Gb/D for an independent system, or Bb/F/D for a dependent one. 2nd valves that combined with the first to give E were popular very briefly about 40 years ago.

Just to clear that up...