A bit of a weird one..

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by KernowSop, Jul 24, 2012.

1. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

How do you go about finding a composer for a piece of music, or an arranger if necessary?
  2. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Just find someone you like and ask them... like me :p
  3. QAD

QAD Member

Or someone you've never met - like me
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

and me...?;-)
  5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Start a thread on themouthpiece? ;)
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Seems you've answered your own question!

There's a lot of composers and arrangers are regulars on here. Even a Mr Sparke, who by all accounts is rather better than average.... ;)
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

And the rest of us are cheap ;-)
  8. casanova

casanova Member

I only charge £20,000 per musical minute :D
  9. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

Cassanova, I think you are a bit out of my price range. :D

Thank you for the replies. What sort of thing would you expect to be asked, to undertake a composition? I'm not sure whether I am looking for an arrangement of a popular piece of music (probably not arranged for brass before) or an entirly new composition.
  10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

You could browse the list on IBEW, and then see if you marry up those names with tMP users names.

There is a wealth of genius on here in terms of arranging and composing. Anyone who really wants your custom will have their real name (and probably that they compose and/or arrange) in their siggy why not Google them and see which websites their works are already on?

I'm less subtle than some of the others. I have a link in my siggy. :D

Good luck - and when you have the piece you want, remember to come back to this thread to give the composer/arranger some free publicity.
  11. Will the Sec

The questions that I ask, or that I know to have been asked are:

1. What type of piece are you looking for. Arrangement? Solo? Concert Feature? Hymn setting? Major Work? Fantasy? Centenary related etc? (Chances are, if it's an arrangement, I will point you towards King Andi of 13 Ball)
    2. The cost will be £xx or £xxx or £xxxx - who will be paying this? (Possibly - Will you pay a non refundable deposit of £xx/3? Prevents time wasters)
    3. What level of difficulty is requred? Note - most composers will write for "Brass Band" rather than "a particular Brass Band" - even when under commission.
    4. How much post composition involvement do you want? For commissions, I like to visit the band at least once to hear how the piece comes off the paper, and to make any last minute tweaks. Reprinted parts cost no more at this point.
    5. Back to arrangements -Are you SURE this hasn't been done before? I'd ask Brassneck, 'cos he probably knows.
    6. (For me, the most important question) When do you need it? If it's your band's centenary next month, for example, you're about 15 months too late.

There will be more questions as the piece is written, depending on progress.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Contact us at KMJ Recordings - we work with a large group of composers/arrangers and can put you in contact with someone who will be able to help!
  13. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Don't mean a pop song do you? ;)
  14. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Gawsh - Thanks Will!:oops:

Seriously consider all of Will's points though. He's talking sense. (And he's no slouch on the ol' sibelius himself...)

The other thing to consider is that a new comission of an original piece won't incur a copyright license fee from the copyright holders - whereas an arrangement of an existing piece is quite likely to, unless the composer died a good long while ago. (70 years, give or take.)

Either way, there'll be someone on here can help you.

Good luck with your project. :)
  16. Will the Sec

A good point, which I should have mentioned.

The cost of the arrangement will always be an addition to the fee for the copyright as the costs are so variable. Many moons ago when I arranged Kathleen (An obscure B-side by Danny Wilson (Who?)) for Trombone and Piano, the cost was giving "a fiver to your pet charity"; by stark contrast the quoted cost for "Band on the Run" was £50 plus vat. I did the former but not the latter.
  17. its_jon

its_jon Member

I don't understand why this is a "weird one"

For example... How do you find a painter to paint you a picture ?

More info required :)