A band work by James MacMillan at the RNCM Festival 09?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Nov 1, 2008.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I see that Desford are to play a work called Jubal, by James MacMillan, at next year's RNCM Festival. Is this what we've been waiting for - an original work for band by the Scottish composer, or is it a makeover of an earlier piece? Does anyone know?

Also looking forward to Freaks, by Gavin Higgins, whose Forest Symphony was mighty impressive last year, and new (to me anyway) works by Pete Meechan and Bram Tovey.

The Gilbert Vinter theme is there, although The Trumpets does not seem to feature (unless Dyke, whose programme hasn't been published yet, are planning to do it). Let's hope so. Also curious to know more about the Symphony of Marchesarr Vinter from the 18th Century (by Gilbert Vinter), I for one have never heard of it. Anyone else?

Elsewhere though, I have to say that some of the programmes look a bit unadventurous, rather like an evening of favourite testpieces. I also recall that there was supposed to be a 1970s theme as well, but it isn't very apparent.

Nevertheless, I shall be there to lap it all up.....

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some welcome news there! Regarding the MacMillan work, anything is welcome from the established field of orchestral composers. Never heard of Jubal before and it is unlikely it is a remake of Adam's Rib which was commissioned by the Wallace Collection. If it is an older work, it may have been written for the City Of Cambridge Band, as he is/was their patron.

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Adam's Rib was actually commissioned by/for the SCO Brass. According to Boosey's website, Jubal is a 5 minute work commissioned by Jordanhill School in Glasgow.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I should have read the sleevenotes before posting ... premiered at the 21st Birthday Gala Concert of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra at the Usher Hall on 28th March 1995.