Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

just wanted to pay my respects for the victims of the events of september 11th, 2001. Poor souls, I will never forget that day. What horror.
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

We did a silence in biology for the victims. First time my biology class have ever stayed silent for so long!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I remember it when it happened. I was 12 hrs night-shift at the time and was visiting my mum before work. When I arrived, the first plane had already hit the first tower. It was surreal as I thought it was a film that was being broadcast initially. When I saw the 2nd plane crashing into the other tower, the reality and the horror began to sink in. It didn't take long to find out it was happening in real time. Everybody at work was in a state of shock when I got there.
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've two reasons to be reflective on the 11th of september.

The first is recalling how the office I was working in just came to a complete halt as people scoured the internet for any information - as no radios or TVs had been allowed - and the sick realisation that this was all really happening and not just a bad dream.

The second is it's the day brass banding at large and his many friends lost Adrian Davidson in a motorcycle crash at hellfire crossroads between brighouse and bradford.

Much as all of us have been affected by the tragic events of the twin towers, It'll never just be about that for me. Adie left a big hole. And I suppose in a way that gives me some small indication of how the families and friends who lost people in new york must feel.

All death is tragic when it's unjust - and premature.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  5. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Almost ironically, there were 2 car crashes very close to my school today- one about a quarter of a mile down the road and one directly outside. Apparently (and this is just a rumour, I hope it isn't true) a bus knocked over a cyclist who was just a schoolboy and killed him. People commented on how the two towers were blown up and how the two accidents are the same, on the same day, yet on a much smaller scale.
  6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

9/11 for me hold 2 entirely opposite memories. 5 years ago on 9/11, I saw the first scan of my baby daughter. Exactly 1 year later, my sister and niece were killed in a car crash.

The twin towers was a terrible tragedy, no doubt about it, but for me and my family, my sister's and her 4 year old daughter's death was even more of a tragedy.
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Agree with the sentiments posted here already.

I remember the time very well as I was actually working within a MoD facility and in a meeting with two naval captains, three lieutenants, a commander and several NCO's. Someone popped into the room, signalled to the Captain who beckoned him over, whispered in his ear and left the room. The same thing happened again 1 minute later - and I saw the wheels of the armed forces spring into action.

Methodical, polite, without question, and I was asked very politely, but sooooo assertively by the Captain, to remove my team from the premises immediately. It was so efficient I could have saluted and said yes sir!

A year later I found myself in the USA on 9/11 and was having breakfast at my hotel when the salute was made. Though the staff knew I was from the UK, they nonetheless invited me to join them at a spot in the hotel where they had a communal minutes silence. Was very, very moving.

I have also had the (pleasure?) of visiting the site of 9/11 - very solemn, emotional and moving indeed.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I was at work when it happened, and I remember vividly the hushed silence that fell across the engineering office as everyone tried to take in what we'd just heard. Everyone then huddled round the PC's that had internet access to see what was going on (BBC and CNN websites) and most of the people I work with were watching the live streaming image when the 2nd plane hit.
    I've never felt stunned disbelief like it. You could have cut the silence with a knife after the initial shock of what we were watching.

Just awful.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Talking about 9/11, I thought I would tell you that the writer of Birdland, Joe Zawinul, died this year on that date.