73H Elkhart Bass trom wanted!!!!

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by bassboneo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. bassboneo

bassboneo Member

Hi all, Does anyone happen to have one of these beautifal trombones hidden in the loft or cellar!!! I played one last night and I loved it. Dont want to get hung up on it, but I really enjoyed the sound and how free blowing it felt. Will have to get used to the trigger set up, but thats no prob.

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Elkhart Bass
    thats
    loft
    H Elkhart Bass trom
    beautifal trombones
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

They're gorgeous-sounding, aren't they? No one makes anything like them any more. I play one myself. It's currently away for trigger modification surgery. If it goes well, I can give you the contacts for the chap who's doing it if you like?

I know Jon Pippen was trying to sell one recently, although his price looked rather optimistic. Hang on, where's the thread... Hmm, can't find it. Odd. You can find him on Facebook if you search.

Conn did continue making the 73H up until 1979, so there are more out there than there are 62Hs (which ceased production with the move to Abilene in the early 70s). Mine has an Abilene bell section, and blows just fine. I wouldn't restrict your search to Elkhart instruments, if I were you - you'll pay more, and a good Abilene instrument is as good as a good Elkie - it's just that they had a better hit rate before they moved the factory.

eBay is your friend; I know quinntheeskimo has sold several of these over the last few years. Have a look at the www.tromboneforum.org classifieds section too, where a couple have appeared recently. You'll probably have to import one from the US if you use either of these routes - but you'll probably pay less for it anyway, so it'll come down to whether the hassle of importing is worth it.

"Free blowing"... Did you try playing a low B? The combination of both valves is abominably stuffy.

4. BTMbred

BTMbred New Member

I have 2 of these for sale.

You have pm

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Oh, and that reminds me - should have thought when I posted before. Shawn Pagington at First Brass had one for sale at Harrogate for £850. www.firstbrass.co.uk

Sorry BTMbred, not trying to gazump you - it just occurred to me.

6. BTMbred

BTMbred New Member

Hey no worries.

If he's selling one for that price il soon have 3! Cheers for the top tip.

I have an Elkhart and an Abeline, both have been used professionally and are great blowers.

All the very best.