7/7 in London.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by I iNNoCeNt EyEs I, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Well, a year on, some people no longer with us because of it, some people terrified to continue with life normally. And then there's the fear of something happening again sometime soon. Does anyone think it will? Or will somewhere else in UK be the target next? Does the thought of terrorists actually give people fear?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    something
    thought
    terrorists
    somewhere
    anyone
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- As with many other organised activities, I must announce that tMP will be offline for two minutes silence at noon today in respect to the victims of the London bombings.

4. I'll be at work 11-1.30 so I hope we do a silence. I'm all sad this morning. :( It's so sad that people can just come in and do this, and ruin hundreds of innocent people's lives. :(

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Whilst I am full support of your intentions I think one must also see the fuller picture and also give thought to how many millions of lives have been affected by the actions of both ours and the US governments in Afghanistan and Iraq. We should support and sympathise with all victims of violence.

Personally I think that we will see further attacks in this country, however I also believe that they will be sporadic because the security services have really upped their game in the last few years and the intelligence gathering is so much more intense. Think how many of these terrorist "spectaculars" there have been since 9/11 and the answer is not many, Madrid and London spring to mind but not many more. The reason for this I believe is that these terror groups are under much more scrutiny so it is harder for them to operate. It's much easier for them to go and shoot at US and UK troops in their own backyard now than it is to mount attacks overseas.

As for targets, well London is obviously a high profile political target but almost anywhere else in the country would be easier to attack and would have just as devastating consequences for the victims. Think about your own town centre, buses, trains - has anything really changed security wise since last year. Although co-ordinated efforts seem to be well policed by the security services these days it only takes one madman operating alone to cause mayhem. We only have to look to Hungerford and Dunblane to see what effect this can have.

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Let's not forget that the IRA bombed London and other UK cities many, many times, during the 70/80's. Life carried on as normal, as it should.

I shall take part in the Silence, although I am at home and alone.

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

My company observed the silence impeccably. It was earily silent, shop floor included.

RIP to all those people needlessly killed by pond scum who think that killing inncocent people is a justifiable way of furthering their cause.

I can think of no more a cowardly and dishonourable way to act.

8. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

There was a rather strange atmosphere on the tube this morning, strange in that you would expect people to be down-hearted but in fact people were surprisingly upbeat. Ironically, it seemed a little busier than usual as well. I suppose it shows the great resolve of the British people.
    My company (HM Customs) observed the silence impeccably also.... we gathered in front of the building on Lower Thames Street, as did workers from other buildings in the area.
    Never forget.

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have the utmost respect for the British. When you observe two minutes of silence it is taken very seriously and is very respectful. After, having observed such occasions (sadly after last year's attack), I am really quite embarrassed by what is deemed a "moment of silence" here in the States. I won't say that not a day goes by that I don't reflect on 7/7 as that's not quite true, but every once in a while when I'm on public transport I pause and pray nothing like that ever happens again.

10. postie

postie Member

The two minute silence at my place of work was perfect as ever. Even a year on it does make you wonder people going about their everday lives can just be targeted like this. It could happen anywhere in the U.K, and with the way things are we would be foolish to think it wouldn't. I think we have to remember it could be anyone of us who could be affected by these events. I think we always remember the people who lost their lives and the families that were left behind.

11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    something
    thought
    terrorists
    somewhere
    anyone
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Had a 2 minutes silence at noon today. The whole of Tesco's was silent - you could only hear the hum of the fridges and the computers. Showed upmost respect, even those workers who classify them self as Asian or Indian were all silent and in prayer. Was a special moment.

14. I understand where you're coming from.. but imo, I don't agree with our forces being in Iraq, so, all these lives that are being lost just makes me angry with the government for sending them there. And whilst I know the people in the forces are fighting for our country, they opted to be in the forces.. therefore understanding the fact that they may lose their lives. However, in things such as 7/7, these people who got killed were all innocent people, just going about their normal daily business, probably as they did everyday. Although I should say, before I get targeted for disrespect, I do think about the soldiers who have lost their lives fighting for our country, but on days like today, the innocent people of our communities, who were no different from us... they should be the ones in our thoughts.
    And not just the ones who got killed, all the people who survived such attacks as this, who are now mentally broken down for the rest of their lives.

15. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think johnmartin was referring to innocent Afghans and Iraqis who had lost their lives, rather than the the UK and US armies...obviously their lives mattered just as much as the civilions, but like you said, they had the choice to sign up.

16. postie

postie Member

I watched this evening's tribute to the victims at Regent's Park very moving and extemely dignified. It's just shows brave the families of the victims are.

17. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

............once that happens the terrorists have won!

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've hung fire before posting as I realise it is a very immotive issue. Although we had no formal directive regarding the silence yesterday, I had asked the contractors working in the building to observe it, so as not to disturb any who were wanting to take part. In the event, the staff of one of my ten companies came down and stood outside, together with a handful of others. From our experience (in Central London, just off Piccadilly) it is simply not quite correct to say, as was reported on the news this morning, that "the whole nation joined in remembrance".

Whilst I have every sympathy for those who lost loved ones or who were injured in the attacks, I honestly do not feel that all the fuss made about it is necessary. As others have said, there was no such knee-jerk response to the IRA bombings - and I heard the Knightsbridge one go off - and placing overdue emphasis just seems to be playing into the terrorists' hands. Although there was a little apprehension travelling on tubes and buses immediately following the attacks, my impression is that things have now got more or less back to normal, which is the way to show that the terrorists have failed in their aim.

I only hope there is not going to be pressure to make this into any sort of annual remembrance: if they want to be remembererd, then why not change the emphasis of the Novemeber 11th ceremonies to include those who've lost their lives in peace-time as well as in war?

19. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Quite right about seeing the bigger picture but see it as well from both sides. Whilst its easy to say that these attacks are a result of our involvements as part of greater Bushdom (and how I despise that imbecile) these islamic terrorists have a wider agenda too. Its not just about Iraq / Afghanistan / Palestine but many of these "freedom fighters" are quite adamant about seeing the world as an islamic world, koranic law in all countries etc etc. Now that I find frightening.

When it comes down to it they are criminals and nothing more and we shouldnt let them affect our lives - as pointed out earlier they have then won. As a northern lad who has occaisionally to work in London - i was down sunday - tuesday last week, I was impressed how life on the tube and elsewhere goes on. We too as a goverment dept had the 2 mins silence, respectfully observed and quite moving in that, but at the end our discussion seemed to have one theme - hit them before they hit us again. The unanimous opinion was that if that means upsetting a few ethnic minorities to stop people being killed, then thats a price worth paying.

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think this is very true Peter. But I think this is just a case of the media driving home the message that the terrorist will not win - and there is nothing wrong in that. To my own (and my companies) shame we didn't do anything to remember on Friday. In truth I was so busy the time for the silence simply passed me by. I felt a bit grim when I looked at my watch and realised it was twenty past twelve. Not sure why my firm didn't announce it though - maybe it was a case of everyone just having too much on their plates to think about putting an announcement out. I'm sure if someone had we'd have all respected it, busy or not.

The thing is with the IRA is that they had an agenda - to bomb their way to the negotiation table, and (with a few exceptions) they attacked the English state - the forces etc. The scary and shocking thing with Islamic terrorists is that they attack totally innocent victims, regardless of race, colour, belief, and when their victims are going about their daily business - ie getting to work. That, and the fact that 7/7 was perpetrated by British Muslims, and the first co-ordinated suicide attack in Britain is the reason for the media interest, I think. Although I agree fully with your last sentance.

At the remembrance service I attended last year there was a concerted effort to include victims of terror attacks. At the time I wasn't sure, but now I feel is probably appropriate to widen the scope of the day, and make it more a national day of remembrance.

For me, I can only hope above all hope that 7/7 is a one-off. Whenever I hear a victims story or account of that terrible day the same thought comes into my head: "they were only getting to work to provide for their loved ones - why target them?". The situation in Iraq and Afghanistan is far too complicated for me to make an educated comment on, I guess while we still have a military presence there we will be high on the list of target nations, but my fear is that this particular threat is not going to go away now, whatever the UK and US forces do in the Middle East.

21. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Sorry but that is not true. They bombed civilians as much, if not more than military targets. Especially on the Mainland. Bombs in litter bins. Bombs at bus stops. Bombs at bandstands. Bombs in cars and vans. Bombs in Wimpey Restaurants. I attended at lot of bomb scenes in London during their cowardly campaign! Was too close to some of them as they went off for my liking and had a couple of colleagues killed by them. As well as being sent to look at hundreds of devices to see if they were real bombs or hoaxes. Scary times and actually worse than today.