6th form and working

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Di, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

I've tried looking on the web and I've tried to find 6th form information leaflets, but can't find what I'm looking for, so am hoping that some of tMPs teachers can point me in the right direction. :biggrin:

Am I correct in thinking there is a law which prevents 6th form students from working in their "free" time during school hours?
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Di, I do not think there is any law. A There have been statistics done on this and it is recommended that students do not work more than 10 hours a week. This is not taking into account heavy time spend in banding. As teacher, and a friend, I would recommend that any young person who is wanting to continue banding as well, does not work more than a few hours a week.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

What! I can't make her do a 35 hour week like the rest of us? :eek:

Seriously though, if there is no such law, finding something that she could at least apply for for say, 2 til 6 two days a week would be better. With her finishing on different times on different days, and thinking there was a law preventing starting before 3pm, we've tried filling out forms saying 3 til 6, 3.30 til 6, 3 til 10, (so long as no extra practice that day). Somehow we never seem to get any response. :-? So a straight forward two days at 2 - 6 might make something easier to find.

4. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

If you go on your local council website and search for "work permits". I was looking at mine a while back because I'd had a girl apply for a job with us but she was only 16 and still doing GCSEs.. from memory it doesn't apply if you're in 6th form though.. it's up to the employer to say yes or no to a young person wanting more hours though as it's them who gets in trouble if they're giving a young person too many hours.

Having said all that I took absolutely no notice of all that work permit mallarkey when I was 14, I had two jobs and an unquenchable thirst for money which eventually got in the way of banding along with a nasty teenage rebellion :tongue: and lead to me giving up playing a couple of years later :frown:

Keep it in perspective and don't do too many hours would be my advice :tup
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not about to throw her out to work all hours, just trying to find something a couple of afternoons a week that won't interfere with after school orchestra, jazz band and band rehearsals. :rolleyes:
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not applicable in your case, Di, but possibly of relevance to those interested in the situation for under 16's, here is a summary:

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/atoz/documents/002(CHILDEMP)PERMITTED HOURS FOR CHILDRENsum(Oct2004).pdf

Although there seems to be no formal stipulation for over 18s, one site advertising suitable employment for students included these words:

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

For a good chance of achieving the best grades possible she should really be doing about 20 hours work outside class (presuming she is doing 4 subjects). In terms of when this work is done, that is up to the student. Some 6th forms/colleges have the students signing in at the start of the day and they are expected to stay until the end of the day. That way the free time is 'study time'. Other places expect the student to turn up to timetabled classes, but the organisation of their time is up to them. I don't think there is any legal issues with this, but it may be written into the student contract that they are to use free time as study time and not leave the campus. Check the small print in the student contract.
  8. Di

Di Active Member

She did do 4 subjects this term, but won't be continuing with the dreaded "general studies" next year. She does spend quite a lot of free time in school working, and as I've said, I'm not throwing her out to work all hours, just finding a couple of regular afternoons, if that is allowed, with a reasonable start time to give about 8 hours total a week.
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

AFAIK, as an occasional employer of 16-18 year-olds, the law only states that they can't be compelled to work more than the legal maximum (something like 40 hours per week off the top of my head) unless they are in an exempt occupation like the forces. There are also limitations on things like working at night, and health and safety. I'm assuming that you won't be sending your nearest and dearest out on a fishing trawler, or on 12-hour nights at News International, so I'm guessing these probably don't apply. ;)

Some schools/colleges may restrict the number of hours a student can work during term-time, or have a recommended maximum. There is certainly nothing legally to say that A-level students can't work afternoons in a shop, for example, but the college may expect free afternoons to be used for study.
  10. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks for all the advice, this is great. Realistically, if we do manage to find something 2 - 6, twice a week, she'll only actually be working 2 hours of actual "school hours".

Thanks chaps and chappesses. :tup
  11. Veri

Veri Member

I used to work the odd afternoon at the Performing Arts Library where I had a Saturday job - I used to live in fear of one of my music teachers coming in!