61p!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Apparently it costs everybody 61p a year each for the Royal family. Seems wrong to me that not only am I a serf, but I have to pay for the privilige. I could get 12 packets of tesco value crisps instead and eat them as a free man!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    packets
    each
    value crisps
    man
    serf
  3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Or the inevitable 61 penny sweets!

4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Sorry did i say inevitable!! Meant of course Inedible!!!!

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We should all put our collective foot down then, only pay 58p each and do away with Edward. What a waste of Oxygen he is!

6. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I disagree, In my opinion the most exppendable member is the HRH the Queen!

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If it wasn't for the queen you'd have nothing to put on the front of stamps, so the country would grind to a halt ;)

8. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Prince Philip could go on the stamps, he is after all so eloquent! Surely he deserves to be the letter bearing royal!

9. PeterBale

I suppose any comments about "slitty eyes" would fit in well with going into post boxes!

10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Indeed his diplomacy has been notoriously bad just about everywhere he goes! So british...

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

61p? Worth every penny and I bet that is a lot less than we pay for Tony Bliar and Cruella DeVille, or Fatty Two Jags Prescott!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    packets
    each
    value crisps
    man
    serf
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Fair point but i think it's more acctually. At least Tony Liar and
    *John Pressups needed* are trying to keep the country running smoothly. And tony L was originally a lawyer, so he earned money at least, what has the queen and fam done to earn money apart from being an ambassodor with her not very tight-lipped husband? Having said all this, I do acctually like the Royals and I'm glad we have the Queen, but as a mater of principle they are a waste of money! Very contradictory to myself!

14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Do you think the government would be OK if I took 61p of my Coundil tax and wrote them a letter saying that I am republican so am conscientiously abstaining from financing something contradictory to my morals.

15. PeterBale

I'm sure the government would not be bothered at all - the local council might be, though!

16. groovy

groovy Active Member

I saw the Queen yesterday! It was rather surreal. We were performing as she opened the new Perth Concert hall. With all the fuss that was made, including sword-weiding bodyguard-type people, I'm surprised its only 61p!

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Seeing as how "The total value of the tourism and travel sectors in 2002-03 was £91.8 billion." (http://www.culture.gov.uk/tourism/)

even if only 0.5% of the tourists want to come to England to see sites related to the royal family (and I think that is low), than that's 459 million quid. That means that they are well making more money for the country than the are using up. I'd say its a good investment for the country.

18. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

well the important word there of course would be TRYING.
    not impressed with the government, p'raps we should go back to the King's law - well Queen's at the moment of course. :p
    xx

19. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I agree Pat, the cost of the Royal family is a very small % of what they bring in :tup

20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

You could try, but given what happened to concientious objectors in two world wars you could end up working down a mine. Maybe you already do? In which case they'll make you become a farmer.
    Just pay your council tax in person, in pennies, but curse at 61 of them first.

Actually I have no problem with inherited wealth, which is all they have. I just wish someone had thought to leave something for me to inherit without drinking, gambling, speculating, womanising or otherwise frittering it away first.

BMB, ardent royalist.:tongue:

21. flower girl

flower girl Member

it's only 61p!!! in my opinion its not that bad. i'm proud of the fact that we have a monarchy. the fact we have a royal family, should make us all proud as it is our country's identification. not many countries have got a reigning monarchy so in my opinion we are lucky.

22. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Proud of inequality? Why? Surely it is better for us to be identified as a country that is democratic (we can at least get rid of Blair if we like) and has a reasonable human rights record.

Maybe they should make it a pay as you go thing. People who want to be 'reigned over' should pay more for the monarchy and people who believe that every person should be born with the right to be Head of State if democratically elected should pay nothing.