5th form physics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Nov 22, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

This is totally why I find teaching frustrating at times. I gave a test to my 5th form students (the lowest of 4 sets). 10 out of 12 MISSED this question. Are students really that duff or is it all attitude problems.

Question #1) If you drive 80 miles in one hour, what is your average speed?

2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Was the test before lunch? If it was they were probably thinking about food and not concentrating. That happens to me all the time. For example if it's 19.56 I get distracted by tmp and instead of writing about critical thinking I appear to be writing about food distractions.
    Either that or, they were so worried about having a test that they were looking for really difficult answers because they didn't think you'd be so nice and give them a nice easy question?!

3. ComposerAndy

ComposerAndy Member

Can I just check it is 80 mph? Cos I had to think about it before realising it is so obvious.

4. DublinBass

Yeah...it's 80 mph.

It was after lunch.

Maybe you're right Big Twigge, the obvious can seem too easy.

I once gave my students a ten item multiple choice test in which all the answers were 'b.'

Not all the students had the confidence to put 'b' for every answer and put wrong answers on the basis "I thought b was correct, but there were too many of them already"

5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I used to do that, if you had 3 c's in a row it couldn't be right so you just changed one so that they were equally distributed between the letters.....The wonders of multiple guess, they were much harder than long answer!

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I do that all the time, and if i'm truely stuck, I just pick one that hasn't been used for a while! :shock:

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

I would say 80mph....

Thanks,
    Burnsy

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I just asked my son Lloyd (3rd year) the same question via MSN and he got it right within 5 seconds...

:biggrin::biggrin:

9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Hahaha! Me 2.... Mum, if you read this.. I didn't do that in my Modules.. I promise :p Lol! I actually thought about something then... not that I don't always think of course... i'm going.. thsi hole is getting deeper and deeper...:-(

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't you actually speak to him face-to-face?! :shock:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    form students
    hour
    duff
    times
    average speed
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

ehm... I'd say... about 128.75 km/h?

:oops:

13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

speed =distance/time

Speed= 80miles/1hour

speed = 80 mph

dont you hate being taught to alwayd dhow your working out

14. six pints

six pints Active Member

i remember getting a multi-choice question in a practise exam for a level physics. it was about circular motion, and something along the lines of if it had a circular velocity of pi/2 rads per second, what is your postion after 6 seconds, and soooo many people got it wrong. One person in my class actually became the first person ever to get 0/15 in a multi choice exam!! The exact same question came up on the real paper (same numbers and everything!!), so hopefully more people got it right then!

oceanology sucks btw

15. DublinBass

I would have accepted that as well so no specific units were requested in the answer ;)

16. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hehe Ben, son at home, Dad away in hotel... :)

17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Depends on whether the coppers catch you or not! if not 80mph if yes probably about 400 (given the amount of time it would take to explain to a copper that your doing a maths exam and not actually speeding)

I'll get my coat.... again....

18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Just realised even if you DID get pulled over by the coppers you'd still do an average of 80mph just that some of that would be at very high speed....

Umm mines the blue anorack... thanks....

19. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Ah...and there I was thinking it was because you lived inside tMP...