4th Section test pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tromwinst, May 12, 2010.

1. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Can you all help me and provide some ideas for test pieces for a 4th section band to prepare?
    If you have links to recordings too that would be great! :D

2. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

3. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

4. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Music for a festival - Philip Sparke, is an excellent piece for 4th section.
  5. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Goff Richards - Saddleworth Festival Overture
    Edward Gregson - Partita
    Bryan Kelly - Divertimento
    Eric Ball - Rhapsody on Negro Spirituals No 2
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Henry Geehls Sinfonietta Pastorale. Lovely piece. My band won on it in Blackpool 2002.

Snowdon fantasy,The Shipbuilders,Othello.
  8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

9. Martin

Martin Member

Anglian Dances
    Four Cities Symphony
    A Winters Tale
    The Journeymen
    The Seasons
    Northern Landscapes
    St Austell Suite
    Haslemere Suite
  10. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Depends on what the strengths of the band are ....if you have a good principal cornet then look at 'A Malvern Suite' by Philip Sparke. If you have a decent solo horn then 'Seasons' by Philip Wilby is perhaps one of the best 4th section pieces I think i've heard. If the standard of the band is high 4th section (and you have good bone section) then try something like 'A Celtic Suite' by Philip Sparke. Lydian Pictures (Simon Dobson) is also good value if you want something that other bands may not play. Eric Ball did a few 4th section pieces which are always useful to try if you looking for something a little bit older and well known.
  11. nethers

nethers Active Member

I took my band on Anglian Dances last year, enjoyable to play, worthy of concerts too and doesn't depend on any soloists, thumbs up from me.
  12. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Thanks everyone, I will try some of these over the next few weeks!
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Four Little Maids;John Carr
    Might be a bit old fashioned but a really good 4th section piece this is would make a very good area piece to if contest selectors want to go for a piece in the past:clap:
  14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I'll agree with that, it has everything needed to test bands, the only issue is that it really sounds dated now.

Four Noble Truths is a good one, we had a lot of success in the 4th section with this piece.