4th section test pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Apr 10, 2008.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

Despite having played and conducted in the fourth section for several thousand years, I have never played the first or the last of these pieces, which are on the panel for selection for the Durham League contest in November:

Promenade Frank Bryce
    St Andrews Variations Alan Fernie
    A Roman Triptych Leigh Baker

I've played Mr. Fernie's opus which is ok (I'm not a great fan of Theme and Variations as test pieces, a few notable exceptions aside with the likes of Mr. Purcell and Mr. Paganini)

What are they like?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    section
    pieces
    last
    contest
  3. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Roman Triptych was written for the 4th section national finals last year, so it's quite new. Fanfaric opening movement, slowish middle section and rousing ending, sound familiar!!!

There are solo's for the principal Cornet and Euphonium, and not much for the Flugel. Three percussion would be neccesary unless you have an octopus in your perc section!!

Hope this helps

4. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

The only one I've played of the three is Roman Triptych and really enjoyed it. Depends on your strengths in the band. May be worth looking at the 4th Section Nationals thread from last year to get more feedback.

5. bigcol

bigcol Member

Thanks for the replies - sounds big and beefy which is what I/we like.

6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Got quite a nice part for Teresa as well Col.

7. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I played Promenade years ago - a good piece (with a little excerpt of She's A Lassie from Lancashire in there) may sound a little dated now but rhythmically a good challenge for 4th section bands.

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Ive played Promenade as well. Although it has some very good things in it, didnt really appeal to me. Everyone else in the band was quite surprised when I said I didnt like it!! Each to their own, though, yeah?

9. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I also played Promenade years ago. I quite liked it.

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

We got Promenade out as a possible piece for Weston Contest. We chose something else as we are trying to push the band forward into the 2nd section next year. Its a lovely piece to listen to (think "the wasps" by V Williams) and we may use it as a concert item sometime. Our solo euph and my part (flugel) had very little to do.

11. imthemaddude

Is sinfonietta the Horovitz being used at Pontins?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    section
    pieces
    last
    contest
  13. Christine Wade

Christine Wade New Member

St Andrew's Variations was commissioned by the East Anglian Brass Band Association for their 61st Annual Spring Festival on 2nd May 1999. The test piece includes seven variations including a Waltz, a March and a Hymn.

St Andrew's Hall, Norwich is the venue at which the East Anglian Brass Band Association holds its contest and gala concert. The 2008 event takes place on 11th May.

Christine Wade

14. bigcol

bigcol Member

Lynda it isn't on the list ;)

15. imthemaddude

Yes it is but for the 3rd section.

16. grandad

grandad Member

there is nothing wrong with Indian Summer
    its not as easy as we all think.
    However it is a good idea to play something your band likes!
    and also plays to your own band strengths....
    but its also not easy choosing own choice test pieces
    good luck I've been no help but I am interested!!!!