4th Section Bands & The Area Contest

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Par10, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Par10

Par10 Member

So we now know that the 4th Section Area Test Piece looks to be an exciting joice.
    How many 4th Section bands will actually be going with a full band and percussion section?

I ask the question because of the apparent lack of players and the amount of bands that have dissapeared during the last ten years.
  2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

My band actually seems to have gone up in numbers right now but I know many bands that are unfortunately low on numbers.

AEHOWGATE Member

chapel en le frith should be going with a full band, but we are only in this position as we train our own players. If I had my own way, bands would need to prove they had a training system before they wete allowed to compete! :eek:)
  4. Par10

Par10 Member

In my time I have known bands in my area who buy in or recruit players just for the area contest.

There is one band who have a regular membership of about six to eight members and have to borrow players to carry out jobs throughout the year yet put out a good band for the area contest composed of players from the local university.

The band in question is a second section band,

I do not know how it could be policed but I honestly think that there should be a system in place that proves the band you are contesting with is "The Band" and not the "One Time All Stars" recruited just to keep a band in a section.
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Not really a viable option as (I'm sure) many bands don't have the facilities to run a training band.
    We don't have our own bandroom and a large supply of lottery funded instruments... there are several youth bands and training bands in our area and we actually cater for the other end - most of our players are "more mature".

AEHOWGATE Member

ok, well still giving youth a helping hand, for every 3 players under the age of 16 award an extra point to their total marks at a contest. :eek:)
  7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

But if you think about it the people who come in are 'the band'. Registration rules prevent this band using players from other registered bands, and the players they get obviously have to be on the bands books.

Your own band could just as easily recruit these players. Why so sore because some other band do.

I cannot really see what is to be policed. A band that struggles heroically on with a small core of players is to be admired. So what if once a year, when they want to show their face in the movement's major event, they go all out and fill their gaps with students, players from jazz bands etc. Its a damned sight better than them not competing or going to the wall.
    I would bet everything I have, that this band would dearly love these poorly attending/temporary members to come to every rehearsal but if they don't thats their tough luck. They don't deserve to have people accusing them of cheating when they are obviously working hard to take part in competitions and contribute to our movement.

We have a couple of gaps that we have carried a couple of years now. Come the major competions we get the same old faces in to help out. They simply have other fish to fry most of the year. They are registered with us and do nearly every competion. Is that cheating? they have contributed to where the band sits in the grading structure so what does it matter to our competitors that they didn't turn out to some job opening a local super market.

I might have some sympathy with your view if the band in question was a fully attended band that paid out big money to REPLACE established players with super stars for a one off competion - but this doesn't seem such a case.
  8. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

Greenfield are going with what i hope will be a full band,just two off atm so we shall have to see,but i like the look of the choice,should be a good one
  9. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Why ? There are Youth Sections in Contests to compete in ?
    Why not award an extra point for every three over 60s - it'd give us the edge ?
  10. Par10

Par10 Member

BigHorn you have made some worthy points.

First and foremost let us get out of the way the fact that the band in question does drop players who have sat in a certain seat all year, done the flower shows, fetes and caroling every cold weekend in December to raise funds so that the Band can pay to get in an MD and pay to get in star players to go to the Area Contest.

What is a Brass Band?

Maybe...... a like minded group of people all working with the common aim to make music to the best of their ability and to enjoy the comeraderie that is produced by that common aim?????????? or is this definition to emotive, to Rudyard Kiplingish for this modern world in which we live.

If the band in question did not act in the way it does, would it have more than the core of 6 - 8 players? Maybe, probably, but would it be a second section band? Maybe, maybe not, but it would be a band.

Your comment about players who have other fish to fry for most of the year and only come out for the Area Contest, is very pertinent, we all know these people exist but where is the comeraderie, why should these people get to play in our movements major event without contributing to the individual bands finances and survival, why should these people take the seat of a player who has put in the time and effort to support the band all year.

What message is the movement giving the younger players and newcomers coming through the movement, you have to practice as much as you can and try your hardest, you have to come to rehearsals every week and attend every job, you have to participate in carolling to raise funds for the band to buy the music, employ the MD and pay for the coach for the band to go to the Area Contest, but there is a better player than you who does not do any of the things we are asking you to commit to, who will actually be taking your seat in the band for the contest just because he/she is a better player.......... great message to give to any new player joining this great organisation of ours!!!!!!!!!!

Of course this is not the case with the majority of bands, perhaps the band in question is a one off, who knows, however should it be allowed to happen? should our organisation allow players to be treated in this way?

It is a common saying these days that people vote with their feet, if you do not like it you can always leave and go somewhere else, that is not questioned, however it would appear that people are leaving but not going somewhere else, that is bad for our organisation and for this reason something should be done to stop players getting so dissalusioned that they just get demotivated to the point of taking up Badminton or tennis or any other pastime except Brass Banding.
  11. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Darwen Brass will be competing with a FULL band. We have only been operating for three years and during this time, we have had reasonable success. The good fact in our favour is the camaraderie between all members of the band.
    This makes for a tremendous atmosphere 27/7.
    We are not all top standard players by a long way but we all try our BEST and that is the main reason that we in my opinion succeed
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

One day in July, or a typo....?;)
  13. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Fourth Section Bands

It is amazing how observant readers are on TMP.
    It is a fact that if you make an error with your message a lot more people read it.
    Thanks for pointing it out. It should be 24/7 hence the reason for the:tup message.:tup:D
  14. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

One problem with your idea. My band has a training band but we don't just except young people into it we take adult learners too. So this means that you shouldn't put an age on it because you should want to encourage adult learners too.

Also when i've played in contests with my band there have been youth bands in the 4th section which means they will get unfair an advantage.
  15. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

People should vote with their feet. Most seem to be blaming the brass band movement for this??? If players didn't allow this to happen then it wouldn't happen! If you are being replaced just for contests and you are not happy with that then go....I know if it was happening to me I could ring at least 25 bands in my area to go and join one.
    That may seem a bit harsh but I've seen this happen to many people and they, the band or their so called mates in the band have done nothing?? Thats exactly why this will always happen....until people use that comeraderie to keep the band together.