4th section 2nd place.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by almost a musician, Jan 23, 2006.

1. just wondered what people thought to the massive screw up with the results in the fourth section.

how did dronfield feel after being awarded 2nd place only to have it removed moments later.
    any other disaster stories from the weekend would also be welcomed.

2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

dronfield were not awarded the 2nd place at any time - the draw number was just read out incorrectly but the band name was right
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

:confused: Why would anybody welcome any disaster stories? It isn't really in the spirit of the weekend surely? :confused:
  4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Personally I wasn't still there so don't know exactly what happened. Just one of those things.
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

haha, funny how the real story tells a different tale.... ;)
    This has happened many times in contesting... as Pythagoras said, just one of those things!
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just a thought on the whole "the winning band played number X" and if there's a large contingent from that band there you get a big cheer and no one hears the name of the band which is being announced at the same time.

In fairness to John Slater he did say the name of the band and it was heard by everyone in the hall. The error was quickly announced before the end of the next section.

A similar thing happened at the JB contest last year with Old Silkstone - the announcer got programme order and playing order mixed up - Old Silkstone were given the cheque and trophy and were on the way home when they found out that they hadn't won.

So perhaps the announcers could just give the name of the band and stick this whole "band that played number/programme number" thing back were it belongs - in the 19th Century.

Can anyone explain the logic of this anachronism? Is it something to do with the idea that the adjudicator doesn't know who the bands are that are playing?
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

It probably does have something to do with the logic that the adjudicator doesn't know who is playing, but the announcer should do by the time the results are being given! I think it just adds to the tension which is probably why they do it - it's the old Chris Tarrant approach ;)
  8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Excellent idea Francis.
  9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Surely its imperative that the bands order of play is announced. At least if both are announced there is scope for a speedy announcement to rectify an error on the spot.

Also it is a check that the band who the adjudicator chose as the winner is the one actually announced the winner.
    We all get suspicious when the adjudication marks are taken away by the contest organisers and reappear some time later with the positions on. (several hours in the case of the Butlins contest)
    In my opinion the sheets should never leave the adjudicators hands. He should leave his tent and announce the winners himself immediately using order of play numbers only.
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I think that J Slater had more than enough time to make sure he had got the right playing order.
    But he did quickly put the matter right.
  11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

excellent idea :tup
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I can't help feeling some people here are making a big thing out of nothing. John Slater actually announced the right band, he just got the draw number wrong. Certainly no-one in my immediate area even noticed until he corrected himself (which was almost straight away) and there was a 4th section band sat right behind me.

If, after 5 sections, and 6 contests over two days all we have to comment on is the fact that someone can't read their own writing I think they did fairly well. ;)
  13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Totally agree, it wasn't as if the wrong band went up and got the cheque or anything. I never heard it as a topic of conversation over the weekend so I think it's being blown up a little on here
  14. rutty

rutty Active Member

Someone did have to go to the stage to make sure that he'd got it right. I knew that the band played number 2 were Dronfield so I was confused when a different band name was read out.

An easy mistake to make - I'm not about to have an embolism about it ;)
  15. slidez

slidez New Member

Short sighted critisism of the weekends events only do harm to the movement.
    Butlins officials would be delighted to see our ill judged comments...NOT !
    A great weekend only spoiled by people out to undermine the organisers.
  16. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Somebody from the wrong band did go up actually. But as people said an easy mistake. Hope steps are put in place so that it is less likely to happen again.
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Part of a letter on 4barsrest from a member of Waterbeach Brass:

"2. Officials need to double check band positions and placings before announcements are made. I know my band only came 2nd but we were waiting for the announcement...band played..No 7... NOT band played No 2 Waterbeach brass...

The confusion lead to a member of another band being awarded the cheque and photos taken on stage before this could be sorted out... felt we missed out...although the £800 is great. Again the contest is great... looking forward to next year..."

So two bands a little miffed. In respect of my own earlier post I offered what I thought was a fair, constructive critism and a suggestion has to how it could be prevented in the future. I think that the Butlins contest weekend is one of the best run in the banding year and agree that if this is the only thing to "complain" about what a tremendous success for the organisers.