4brs Retros for the Regionals

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by brassbandmaestro, Mar 29, 2009.

1. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

4bars rest are saying about the numbers of competing bands have dwindled quite considerably since the millenium and they are saying at the end of the article and no-one doesn't seem to be doing anything about it!
  2. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

as if they have a clue. probably an administrative error on their part.
  3. brassbandmaestro

But since the millienium, though, a lot of bands have met with some demise. In the last 10 years, over a 100 bands have folded.
  4. nhrg

nhrg Member

100 bands have folded makes me think "so what?" I fully expect brass bands to nearly have died out in 80 years, after which there will only be 20 bands in the country. I don't think that matters because I'll be dead by then. It's the rules of the market. No demand: no band.
  5. killer

killer Member

Chuff me, and there was i enjoying my Sunday night .
  6. jim

jim Member

Negative selfish attitudes won't get the movment anywear, young people want to play take a brass group into a school and see the kids amazed with it ok kids come and go. But if the movment can least try and talk about these things we may have a longer futer than many think.
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One of the other comments in the summary concerned the grouping of the Regionals over a shorter period. They seem to think it would be better if things were more spread out, and I can see that would allow those who were interested to go and hear more contests, but would it not also mean more wins by the same two or three conductors, attempting to recycle their successful renditions with different bands?

I've got no particular axe to grind on this one, but would be interested to know what other people think.
  8. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

The Q & A format of the 4br article begs a question of its own - who asked the "questions" in the first place? If, as one suspects, it was the writer of the article, why not write it as an article, rather than this contrived method?

There are several points that need further scrutiny and discussion - not least the "proposals" regarding the fourth section. It may have escaped 4br's notice, but the fourth section bands, contesting or not, are the first point of contact for the general (paying, listening) public with brass bands. From there, some people, their sons and daughters, go on to learn, join and support their local bands. Some of these bands go on to compete in the Regional contests, and some, believe it or not, are promoted to the third section and so on, until they may even reach the dizzy heights of first or even Championship section status.
    The tone of the 4br article is that the Championship section should be made smaller (and therefore more elitist), and that only one place should be available for qualification to the RAH at each of the Regional contests. What encouragement does this give to the other competeing bands?
    The idea that the top ten bands at one years' Championship final should autmatically qualify for the following year is, frankly, ludicrous.The loss of players, conductorsand sponsors can make huge differences to any band in twelve months.
    The other suggestions for the Fourth section, that instrumentation, adjudication and music should all be changed are also ill thought out. What happens to a band when they are promoted? Do they then have to change back into a "traditional" band? Do they then have to exclude the extra players and instruments that helped them get promoted?
    Sorry 4br, but the movement would be better served if you directed your thoughts and suggestions towards the encouragement and support of those bands and individuals who give freely of their time and resources teaching and running training bands - most of whom come from the lower sections, and without whom our movement would surely die.

Armour polished and ready for immediate use...............
  9. brassbandmaestro

Thank you Clyde Slider for yopur thoughts. It still brings me to add to what I have said before about the structure of the different sections we have at this moment. i still say that we need another another section, because there bands in the Championship Section that always dont fair well(I am sayin g this in general terms), in the Championship Section and feel that if another section is created, then for these bands, and higher placed 1st Section bands would surely have a better chance of saying winning or being in the prizes. For example, a new section would be, Premmier Section, championship Section, 1st Section 3rd and then 4th Section. I am sure this would work out. I know a similar one has been activated before, but a new section for the upper echelons, would be needed.
  10. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

maybe it is time to admit that true 'championship' bands are not really interested in contesting locally.
  11. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

says who?

if you are relying on 4br you should note that all their articles on this subject are riddled with factual inaccuracies.
  12. brassbandmaestro

True, i did find thier figures rather amazing to read and did ponder as to wether the research they had done was accurate. Although you do hear about quite a few bands folding.

Is it time, maybe to figure out a way for the more eleitist Championship Section bands not to be involved in the local contests?
  13. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

i would guess that 50+ fourth section bands chose to sit this year out because the piece wasn't easy. that isn't the same as folding.

an obvious solution would be to allow bands to maintain their C section grading without doing the areas if they contest nationally at the big contests - in fact, encourage them to do so.
  14. brassbandmaestro

Yes, there are more reasons than I stated for bands folding. Like last year, i thought that 'The Shipbuilder's', was rather difficult for 4th Sections to play. Was the numbers down for that too?
  15. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

I definately dont think another section is needed. For instance in the North of England and Wales there are harly enough bands to fill 5 sections never mind introudcing another one. Band need time to develop in the 1st section without the 'threat' of promotion to the championship level. That gives the opportunity to qualify for the nationals a few times and then make the step up.

The 4th section piece may have been harder this year but the simple fact remains that there are not enough players to fill the existing bands.
  16. brassbandmaestro

In that case, I go back to my origin post, about what are people doing about it this situation then. Ok, perhaps people are just not able to go into schools etc, to advertise(or are they?), there has to be somehow, a way of getting people into banding etc, at grass roots level, I amtalking of here.
  17. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Totally agree with this. We were down 8 bands in the 4th section of the LSC area this year and those 8 bands were nearly all bands who had come in the bottom half of the previous year's contest so I expect they found The Talisman too hard to cope with.

The Shipbuilders was selected for the 4th section national finals - at this stage, you would hope the bands are ready for the 3rd section, so a piece like The Shipbuilders was a pretty good choice.
  18. brassbandmaestro

Ah, thanks for the info Daisy Duck!
  19. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Well 'The Shipbuilders' was for the Nationals, bands who are essentially the best of 4th Section now competing in 3rd Section this year. I don't think it was too hard, and think it was a adeqaute stepping stone from one section to the next.

Some bands may be folding, but I don't think 4BR takes into account merging bands, and also that some bands that would be considered 4th section would rather serve as a community band than struggle (in some cases) to get personnel for a contest. I found 'The Talisman' an interesting choice for 4th section, I liked listening to it (Actually the Regionals CD was alright this year... with Pentacle maybe the exception), it would've been nice if this year's test piece encouraged more bands to take part... there only 5 bands in Scotland's 4th section. Ah well, such is life.

Edit: Dang nabbit, Daisy Duck. I go away for a wee snack and you get in there before me... this cookie better be worth it ;) haha
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  20. brassbandmaestro

Scotland has only 5 bands in their 4th Section? Does that mean that up there, it's a bit of a brass band desert, or are there more community bands and some could be struggling?