4BR Ratings - How do they work it out

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brasswithclass, Sep 26, 2009.

1. I've just read the latest 4br world rankings and observed that bands are being placed further up the list because they won "picnic in the park" and the "penrith eisteddfod".

These events seem a tad frivolous when National and Open Championships are also part of the mix of events.

So how do 4br use these smaller events ratein their calculations

I'm just curious because one of our local bands advanced a wopping 20 points because they won a state championships (fair enough) and a local eisteddfod (happened at the same venue) a week before.

What events qualify? Would a "band of the Year" or Battle of the Bands entertainment contest be eligible?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. andyp

andyp Active Member

iirc they weight the points according to the ranking of the other bands in the contest, so there's a lot more points on offer for the Open than local contests.

Explanation page here....http://www.4barsrest.com/rankings/system.asp

3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Which obviously gives the UK bands an advantage since they all compete against each other much more often, so wouldn't worry too much about your overall ranking, but if you filter it by your home region it "should" be faily accurate-ish!

4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

There's more points available if there's a welsh band in the line up....

5. welshmike

welshmike Member

This cannot be true as we recently won the Rhyl Festival of Brass with two Welsh bands behind us that are graded higher and it didn't even make a comment on 4br or warrant any points! How does that work?

6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Wrong Welsh band obviously.................................. ;)

7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Welshmike, there was an element of tongue in cheek to my comment, but Georgie Boy seems to be hitting along the right lines....

8. welshmike

welshmike Member

Do you mean there may be an element of bias towards certain Welsh bands on our most viewed public brass band forums? (tounge most firmly in cheek now!!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  9. billy_p

billy_p Member

Mike - we really should stop meeting like this!

I have done some in depth research on this and my calculations have led me to believe that whilst the explanation on 4br is roughly right it leaves out the "W factor", namely if a Welsh band is in the contest AND...

a)DOES WELL, multiply the rankings points by 500/distance in miles from Rhondda
    b) DOES BADLY, ignore said contest altogether for ranking purposes

I think you will find this provides a complete explanation now. Am I too young to be this cynical?

10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

not at all,I just wouldn't say much more or you'll get jumped on (I speak from personal experience :oops:)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    4BR Ratings
    events.So
    penrith
    Open Championships
    National
  12. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I know a few 2 nd section bands that are well up the 4 bars rest ratings....they never do anything at the area contests, but they keep winning crappy entertainment contests where theres no real competition.It also helps if you have a big name waving the stick !Jobs for the boys!!!