4br band of the year

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by basebonetone, Jan 3, 2012.

1. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

4barsrest band of the year--oh dear (yawn) ........ discuss
    that is all
  2. Flumpet

Flumpet New Member

If you don't care about it, why create a thread about it!!! Male chicken springs to mind.......
  3. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

4br boty

just a bit frustrating that the same names crop up year in year out and there is an obvious bias towards certain bands, I play with these guys all year round and feel that it would be nice for some of the unsung heroes and dedicated bandsman to get a mention but there we go..
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

is that because the same names perform year in year out on a consistent level? every team is bound to have players that they feel should get a mention. or players themselves who want the spotlight. In years to come maybe when it's been done year in year out by these guys they'll get their mention and 15 minutes of fame.
  5. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

To be fair to the thread, there is a point, there are just as many good players playing outside of the top bands that always get mentioned, I could name plenty of players outside the top bands that have played just as well as those already mentioned in the 4br account, but they wear the wrong jacket on stage or play in the wrong area, therefore get overlooked.
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

All of the categories in the 4BR Awards have a 'none of these' option with a box for you to type in your own nominations, so away you go. 4BR can't be expected to know what old Reg Mucklethwaite has been doing for the past 90 years for the Little Sodbury Silver Band - unless you tell them!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some things don't make sense ... Cory still lead the 4BR bank rankings but Bob Childs isn't included in the selection for best conductor. Odd! I nominated him in the "other" box. :confused:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. rosolino

rosolino Member

Not for Band of the Year. This is purely 4barsrest's nominations.

Me too.
  10. James Yelland

No, that's not correct. Go to the voting form, pull down the drop down list and you will find one of the options as 'none of these'. There is a box below where you can enter your nomination.

11. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

12. rosolino

rosolino Member

I did understand the thread but sorry for any confusion. I thought Mr Yelland realised the nature of this‚Äč thread that's why I said we had no input into 4barsrest Band of the Year as it was for individual players as suggested by them.
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Don't think I'd select nearly the same All-Star band.

Lots of international players this year...more than I can remember in past years. Curious if they are doing that to light a fire under some bandsmen's bums or if they are basing that on results on recent European Championships?

A bit surprised that Florida have two players listed and neither band that won a US contest (Atlantic and Fountain City) does.
  14. James Yelland

15. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I presume that's because they'll have only heard Florida this year when they came over for BIC and probably haven't heard either Atlantic or Fountain City at all.
  16. nethers

nethers Active Member

It does seem that unless you are visible in a major contest in the UK or Europe you don't have much chance of getting a mention.
  17. rosolino

rosolino Member

Maybe they heard Fountain City at the All England Masters in May?
  18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

EH? So you're saying player can only be nominated if their band wins something. Could it be something to do with Dublin players not making the final 4BR cut?

On a wider note, why do people get upset about these nominations????
  19. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

A politically correct celebration of mediocrity.
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Nicely put.

- Mr Wilx