4BR Awards?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hobgoblin, Dec 30, 2012.

1. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

What happened to these? As I recall they always came around xmas time and were an authoritative guide to the best bits of the previous year. I always used to base my cd purchases on these.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I see last year the launch was on 30th December so I wouldn't write them off yet!
  3. RossAB

RossAB Member

They put something on Twitter about it a week or so ago, said the polls would be going live on the 25th. May be that they've just had some issues with it!
  4. boourns

boourns Member

I can't decide if your tongue is in your cheek or not.
  5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Cheers! I realise they only interest the boc contingent like ourselves, but it does seem they are getting the ball rolling a bit late. Perhaps 4br have been too busy providing unbiased reporting of the Kapitol / Registry issue to put up the tinsel? I hope they put up the lists of the worthy soon, as I need their help to make up my mind.
  6. boourns

boourns Member

Thanks for clarifying that [​IMG]
  7. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

List is up now but am having trouble voting. Anyone else getting an error message? Am absolutely stunned that Stuart Lingard didn't make the shortlist for player of the year after winning best cornet/instrumentalist at Yorkshire Areas, British Open AND Brass in Concert! This in addition to stunning playing on B&R's new CD and on the concert stage. He's had an inspired year and would be my winner with Steve Stewart not too far behind.
  8. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

Can't edit post for some reason? Take out Yorks Areas as believe it was actually Richard Marshall that won the cornet prize there. Apologies to that man!

How are you supposed to vote..I mean, how could I vote on contest performance of the year when I didn't hear a single one of them.
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The way that people have voted in the past, listen to a soundcloud recording or two:dunno
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

That's never stopped people from moaning about the result so why should it stop people from voting for the best? ;)
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree there are obvious draw-backs with this sort of system. I have personally only voted for performances and bands that I have actually heard or seen, even if it means the options are quite limited. There is also the perennial issue of people soliciting votes via Facebook or wherever for their particular favourites.

Nevertheless it can still produce some interesting results. If there is one change I should like to see it would be for nominees put forward when voting to be viewable alongside the official candidates - there may well be performances or individuals that had slipped the mind which people may have considered voting for given a jog to the memory.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

14. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Just seen the list of nominees - it's all so exciting! I noticed the thing about block voting, do people really sit at home and spend all week voting for themselves?
  15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Why not, lately some people seem to live on here posting dull, pointless sh*t...being an uber boc is a full time job :)