4BR Annual Awards - Support the tMPers!!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by NickWalkley.co.uk, Dec 13, 2004.

1. As you may have seen 4barsrest.com have once again made their shortlists for their annual awards, which this year include at least 2 tMPers, myself in the Newcomer award and Alex Kerwin in the Player of the year award/best solo CD award.

The link for you to vote is http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2004/art417.asp

Go and show your support for fellow tMPers and vote for us!!!

Thanks alot!!

Nick

www.nickwalkley.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4barsrest.com
    4BR Annual Awards
    awards
    award
    CD award
  3. mr jinx

mr jinx New Member

Having read this thread and article on 4 bars rest regarding player of the year, alot are just pretenders to the crown. For me out of the final list selected David Childs is the only one who is a real musician. He is a natural master of every musical style and very humble with it.

However real players of the year are those who don't receive financial gain for playing in a band within any league and are there week in / week out. If I am correct Kirsty Abbotts is a tmper and she is worth anybodies vote as she is a superb player and bandsman. As far as I am aware she receives no 'retainer' or 'expenses' and does not blow her own trumpet to keep her name in the starlight. Also Rob Westacott, another tmper, deserves a mention - another great player and bandsman who also doesn't need to blow his own trumpet.

Both players are capable of playing with so-called 'better' bands and have shown their committment and personality in doing what they are doing.

Also, leading away from this. Why does 'player of the year' have to be someone who is at the 'top' level on principal seats? There are dedicated, committed bandsman at all levels and on all seats. I hope people realise they can vote for anyone, not just those selected by 4 bars rest. To me, someone who has overcome personal tragedy or an illness like cancer deserves to be nominated rather than just those who have made a cd or are in it for personal gain.

Just remember this, if there was no money in the top top bands, would some of their players still be there?

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So who are the all the tMPers on the list?

For band of the year would it be Dyke and YBS that have the most tMPers?

Are any of the conductors on tMP?

Is Alex the only tMPer up for player of the year?

What would be the tMPer CD of the year?

Which lower section band is has the most tMPers (why were Hathern and Fulham not nominated?)

Okay...I get that you would like us to vote for you Nick as newcomer ;)

For testpiece of the year...to support tMPers we would have to vote for Music of the Spheres (there's no other tMP composers, right?)

Performance of the year..that would be another toughy as all but BAYV have quite a few tMPers.

Solo CD...we should vote between Alex and Dave right?

Just looking for some clarification.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget when voting that you can enter your own choice - I've gone for Hathern, and there's no reason why more should not do so ;)

I must say that some of the short-listing does seem a little more idiosyncratic than usual - even for 4barsrest :shock: - such as the selection of Stephen Mead's "Euphonium Magic vol 2" which has only been out a couple of weeks, so most will not have had the chance to hear it.

If you are looking for a tMP bias in your voting, don't forget that Reg Vardy have a number of tMPers, and I've a feeling that Ray Farr may be registered as well.

I don't see why this thread shouldn't be used for those wishing to lobby on behalf of friends and colleagues, so long as we keep things in perspective and at a reasonable level.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Well, I've voted for Raf Van Looveren as player of the year (sorry Alex... ;) ), because
    a) he's Belgian :)
    b) he's the only nominee that I actually heard live a few times in the past year, and he's simply an amazing player
    c) he's a very friendly, down-to-earth guy
    And in a reaction to some of the things said above, I'm pretty sure none of the Willebroek players are payed by the band.
    And of course, lots of other players could have been nominated too (as 4BR say themselves!). Nothing withholds you from selecting another player, or even setting up your own website with your own awards :D It's all a bit of fun as well of course, like every other online internet poll. I'm pretty sure that the eventual winner will acknowledge this...

7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Well said.

Alex

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Thanks.

Congratulations for the nomination by the way :biggrin:

As you can see in my signature below, I've also been nominated for a few awards ;)

9. Just like brass bands as a whole, so why people are taking this so seriously is beyond me. I was just highlighting the fact that we had been nominated and that you could vote for us IF YOU wanted to!! As well as drumming up a bit of support for the members of this online community.

Just for the record I'm not getting a penny for all the things I do, I don't even have a CD out to sell (not that that's a bad thing). I'm doing it all for fun :-?

Vote for whoever you want, it's your choice.

10. Di

Di Active Member

Just out of interest, is the list totally 4barsrest created or, as a regular viewer, have I missed the chance to make nominations?

Congrats to those who are on the list. (Especially the tMPers;))

11. It's a pity there is no cd recording of the belgian nationals, but I have entered Willebroek's performance of the Spheres as best contest performance. But I'm not so objective maybe...:)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4barsrest.com
    4BR Annual Awards
    awards
    award
    CD award
  13. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

It's 4barsrest's nominations Dinie, and we can vote for any of them or vote for our own! ;)

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

same here Peter they have had a fantastic year this year

15. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Yaaaaay! go Peter and Craigy!! ;):p Lol! :biggrin:

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

No Dinie - it's only on tMP where you can do that! ;)

17. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Tsk! Yeh mum! Even I knew that :rolleyes:..... (sort of)..... But yeh..! Asking silly questions like that! ;)

18. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

and me

19. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the idea of "Voting" was to keep things secret until the results were announced.

Yes, I have voted in all catagories, and I reserve the right to keep my choices to myself... unless of course 4BR are tracking IP addresses ! :D:D:D:D

Good luck to all entries !

20. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Which is exactly what we are doing in our tMP fun awards...:) (as well as allowing our members to nominate who should be up for their votes;) )

21. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I beg to differ, but voting has nothing to do with secrecy. It's simply a means of putting forward one's opinion. So lobby away, tmpers ;)

22. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

yup they are!

Good luck to all the entries, and dont forget you can put in your own choice;)