4barsrest Down AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sbandsman, Feb 15, 2011.

1. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

:confused:

Anyone else having problems getting on to 4br again! it seems to have been down since Sunday afternoon:confused:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4barsrest Down AGAIN
    Pav
    server error page
    home page
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Its quite ok for me.

4. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Back op now but all I had been getting was "service unavailable"

5. Oh my god, what will we do?!

6. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

i couldn't get onto it yesterday either

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

They should look at refunding some of the money paid to them for advertising products and vacancies on their site - they're not providing the service they are charging for. If it's down for 7 days in a year, that would be 2% off their advertising revenue.

8. backrow

backrow New Member

Down again! probably a blessing given much of the content nowadays.

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Could not get on yesterday managed to get on for a while today ,but its now down again

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

It happens folks... on here too, as you may well know. I am sure Anthony and crew don't want any downtime either and would do everything they could to ensure 4BR is up and running for the majority of the time.

11. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

But it happens here nowhere near as often John.....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4barsrest Down AGAIN
    Pav
    server error page
    home page
  13. MoominDave

And any payment here is voluntary support, not a commercial fee for a service...

14. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

I find Brass Band World much more reliable.

And you can read it in the toilet.

15. Pav

Pav Member

Bob

If you get an iPad you can read 4br in the toilet (or a service unavailable message anyway).

It's back up by the way.

16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

An iPad is a lot less comfortable if you run out of, erm, essential bathroom supplies....:wink:

17. Pav

Pav Member

Insert your own Steve Jobs gag here...

18. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Don't they have an app for that?

In my day the constipated mathematician had to work it out with a pencil.

Or a slide-rule.

19. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Not being funny - and I know that 4barsrest.com is free to the end user - but the amount of downtime that site has got to be completely outside of the service level agreement any reputable web host should be offering?? It's every other day that you can't access it and it wouldn't be so much of an issue if we all hadn't built such a reliance on accessing it!

But let's not kid ourselves - i'm sure the organisers are making a tidy profilt on advertising ...and that advertising depends on the site being up and viewable. I don't understand what the issue is here. Surely the downtime must cost them more than swapping provider from cheapo nasty host based in the middle of nowhere to someone a little more reliable and available! I stand to be corrected but something like a 97-98% uptime isn't unusual is it for most normal web hosts? This can't be anywhere near that. Simon

20. Blower

Blower Member

I would hardly think that any revenue generated from the site compensates for the time, effort and initiative that the guys at 4barsrest put into it! Much the same as this one.

21. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Finding a good, reliable hosting company, at a realistic price, is more difficult than one imagines. I have four sites hosted with the same company, three of which rarely suffer any downtime, whilst the other one (which happens to be Brytfor!) can almost be guaranteed to drop at least once per day.

Having pleaded with the hosting company to move Brytfor to a more reliable server, I am met with silence. It absolutely defeats me why I can enjoy 99.9% uptime with three sites, and experience something less than satisfactory with the other one.

Perhaps 4BR are reviewing their hosting service with a view to improving accessibility.

22. MoominDave

Not really the point I was making. They take people's money in return for a service, and then don't provide the full advertised service. The amounts of money are small, and it doesn't seem worth getting het up about it - but what if they started to charge more and then the site spent half the year offline? It's a sliding scale with a threshold - I'd be dissatisfied if I'd been diddled out of £50 of service that I'd paid for; £1, not so much.