4barsrest coverage in 2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Jan 28, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Maybe I'm just imagining things (as I never paid attention much in the first place), but I feel like the coverage on 4bars rest has changed this year.

First, it seems like instead of having a few news blurbs each day, they are all posted on one day (or sometimes 2) during the week. I can't help but wonder if it is not out scoop the British Bandsmen each week now that they are partnered up.

The other bit is that the comments section seems to be almost a tMP-like forum now with all the banter going back and forth.

Have these two things always been like this (or for that matter are they really like this now?) or am I just thinking too hard about it?

(BTW I think I may know who shot JFK ;) )

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=WoodenFlugel
    review
    final placings
    barsrest coverage
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Is it a problem? (As someone who's been 'guilty' of some of the 'banter' recently?). If it isn't, no worries; if it is, why not bring it up with 4br?

;)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you have ever noticed it, the news on 4barsrest seems to reflect what is posted on the sites of Brass Band World, The Brass Herald and sites of bands worldwide. It is only recently that they have been getting a few exclusive articles to broadcast to the online audience. Maybe since they have went fulltime, they might try a forum-based adventure if they can supply 24/7 moderation. Obviously, on a system based on e-mails, they have to decline some from posting their comments. How they do that (first come, first served?) I don't have a scooby. There has been an excessive amount of similar responses about recordings of Roccoco Variations when one of two would have done the job. Personally, I will keep an eye on the British Bandsman site to see how it changes over the next few months. Iwan Fox is now a contributor to BB, so maybe he might have a role to play there too.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with the banter at (except sometimes I can't tell what Phil is getting at ;) ).

I just find it interesting that in regards to the comment section it seems that they are ...in a sense... copying what has been working so well here at tMP by allowing more of a dialogue.

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Ah yes, I see what you're getting at. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well, perhaps they are, Pat. But, (referring to brassneck's comments) there have been three contributions from me (none of them rude, insulting, defamatory etc.) which 4br chose not to publish. The first one (I sent it twice, just to make sure) amazed me particularly because it was in response to their article about the choice of the areas pieces this year. I merely defended most of those choices (contrary to the opinions of 4br) but they chose not to publish. Perhaps so soon after my 'soapbox' article, they though I was 'hogging' the chat pages a little. To which I would reply, 'I'm not the only one, then.....'

Still, they allowed my recent banter with Phil (and if he hasn't already worked it out, tell him my 'give yourself a pat on the back, preferably from a cow' gag was merely in jest....:)),

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe they should have a separate section reserved for heated topics. All the opinions and comments could be posted in common groups so we, the readers, can "see the wood from the trees". It is difficult to tell whether they are choosing what they want us to read, although the official line is that they accept no responsibilty for reader's comments. 4barsrest must be suffering for the lack of a realtime response format for contraversial issues.

8. critic

critic Member

Dont know about4barsrest changing but there retrospectives on Butlins contest are very interesting they certainly speak there minds.

9. Syrup

Syrup Member

There only seems to be a couple of days a week that news items or reviews are added to their site, which is sometimes out of date by the time it appears. An example I spotted was the recent review of the YBS concert in Rochdale that said something like their forthcoming concerts in Scarborough would be worth attending. By the time the Rochdale review was posted the Scarborough concerts had already happened!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From my own involvement with 4br I very much doubt if there has been any policy decision to hold back on posting news or articles. It is more likely that they have been busy with other things (such as attendance at Butlins etc), or have had computer problems, as was the case a few weeks ago. I think it will take a little while for the effects of "going full-time" to be seen, and as for the suggestion of a forum-type set-up, who needs one when we're here :shock: :?: ;)

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I cant fault Iwan Fox and 4BR team. Each time i have sent news up to them about our band it is up within the very most 36 hours.:-D
    Plus what you send up is word for word :D where as a certain monthly Brass Band magazine put about 3 lines of a newsletter you send up to be printed, i do not waste my time any more with them:-(
    4 Bars Rest is a super service for all conected with Brass Bands:)
    Plus Iwan Fox is a Liverpool Fan To:-D so i always put a ps about Liverpool Football Club to him:-D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=WoodenFlugel
    review
    final placings
    barsrest coverage
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... anybody noticed 4barsrest including more links for subscribtion of the Bandsman in recent times?

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I too must add my support to 4barsrest as they have published everything I have ever sent to them, also the items in full.

I sent them an item between Christmas and New Year which after 10 days had not been posted to the site. I emailed Anthony and Iwan and within a couple of hours I had an email from Iwan explaining why the delays, both technical and personal issues, and the item on the site within a further couple of hours.

The guys are doing their upmost to be all things to all bandspeople, both at the top end and bottom end of the banding scale.

Carry on the good work chaps

15. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

We're still waiting for a review from last weekends RNCM Festival of Brass as far as I know.

16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Still got our marks for Butlins wrong! ('twas 182), but on the whole, they do a good a very good job, and I think that it has been getting consistantly better since I became a regular reader 2 or 3 years ago.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... glad to know that your service has been of use to them! ;)

18. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

4BR - The weekly magazine for Brass Bands

Our beloved website - born is the spirit of truth, justice and the Welsh way has developed maternal instincts for its distant sickly relative, the British Bandsman.

As well as carrying an image of the magazine on the home page, the news item "Wales Loses Out In The Arts" directs us to the magazine for further info:

"for a more extended article on this topic, you can read about it in this week's British Bandsman newspaper that can be ordered at: http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/british_bandsman.html"

Updating the website seems to be taking place on a weekly basis and we still have no 'Premium Content', such as the Festival of Brass reviews.

So this is the "New Deal" - we email in our news and pics for Kenny, sorry Kenneth and the boys to sell it back to us.

Sounds fair.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2005
  19. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I think that, in general, I would like to see a little more editorial judgement, particularly with regard to the letters page. Ten letters on the subject of recordings of Rococo Variations, for example, many of them saying the same thing, is tedious to wade through and seems an unnecessary waste of space. And it has to be said that the quality of some of the argument on other matters is not of a particularly high standard.

20. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Apart from their review of the 4th section which is distinctly lack-lustre in comparison to the rest of the Butlins articles.

21. postie

postie Member

It's nice to see that 4bars rest have admitted in their comments page dated 31st January that they didn't have someone in the room for all of the 4th section at Butlins. Their coverage of contests is normally pretty good, but sometimes you do wonder whether the lower sections actuallly figure at all in their mindset.

22. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well I thought the coverage for Butlins, on the whole was excellent. (I can't speak for the 4th section though). I thought their review of the second section was pretty spot-on, and I really appreciated that they wrote what they thought of our performance in particular, rather than tailor their review to suit the final placings.

(BTW this has nothing to do with them seemingly liking my ineffective parpings during the slower sections of Verona Lights...;) :) )