4barsrest and Tower of Power

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GurCriSt, Feb 25, 2005.

1. GurCriSt

GurCriSt New Member

From the "Postcard from Bergen" article

This is a corker of a piece [Riffs and Interludes], which incorporated synthesized echoes of the playing in the middle movement to portray the distant echoes from far flung fjords who are holding a pop concert featuring an American funk group that perhaps no one as ever heard of called, ‘The Tower of Power' (nice eh?).

ToP.. An unknown American funk group? Haven't ToP been touring in the UK or is it just that the guys over at 4br only listens to their brass band cd's? :p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Riffs and Interludes
    4barsrest
    Postcard from Bergen
    echoes
    American
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I've got every ToP album going (vinyl to cd) and have seen them 3 times over here. Rocco Prestia's bass playing should be an inspiration to any "bass instrument" player, let alone Garibaldi's drum patterns!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You talkin' about ToP as in "You've got to funkifize" and "What is Hip"...If so, I saw them in concert a few years ago and even got to go back stage...they put on a nice show.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

These guys must be drawing their pensions and using zimmers for support these days! ;) . Awesome horn section from these heady days alongside Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago teams. I was surprised when I first read up about Nielsen's Riffs And Interludes, especially the first mvt. Not chuffed when the title was only used categorically and not with samples (or was it a riff I haven't heard?).

oh well, another one in the slot and TOP proved they were not just a flash in the pan! :cool:

(... don't like much of their recent CDs though as they are more soul-driven than their classic R&B grooves :eek: )

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I was brought up on ToP!! What is Hip?, Soul Vaccination etc... we played loads of their stuff in County Jazz Orchestra. Legends.

7. GurCriSt

GurCriSt New Member

I'm glad to hear that 4br's knowledge of ToP isn't representative for UK bandsmen in general :)