4bars rest predictions

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by yorkie19, Feb 22, 2005.

1. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the 4barsrest predictions for the North of England Championship section just a little bit lacking?

Where as I don't doubt that every band going is looking for a spot at the RAH, they have, yet again, failed to put anything of substance in their write-ups about each band. I mean, anyone of us could have come up with:

"They have come a long way since winning the Second Section title here in 1998, but they would love to go a long way further come results time. London perhaps?" (Shepherd Building Group)

or

"Since winning the First Section in 2000 they have made real and significant progress in the Championship Section, and if they play to the top of their form, they could well be booking hotel rooms in Kensington for October" (Cottingham)

The texts for each band almost act as an insurance policy just in case they get the predictions wrong so they can say "Well, we did say this band was capable in our write-up".

Come on 4barsrest, sort it out. Surely it's better to say nothing at all than the bland statements that we seem to get from them. It almost feels like they know nothing at all about the bands in the competition.

Sam

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    North of England
    RAH
    First Section
    Second Section
    Championship Section
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Think you have answered your own question there Sam...

4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

In the theory, every band has a chance of making the RAH and especially with a piece like 'Rienzi'......the majority of bands will find it much easier notes wise than something like 'Tristan' so am sure it will come down to interpretation more than ever. 4barsrest however do seem to have sat on the fence with this one, suggesting to me that maybe they have not researched thoroughly.

For what it's worth, if I was a betting man (which I'm not)...I would put some pennies on Fishburn coming out on top of the pile on this occasion. Just a hunch......

5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

You dont happen to have any hunches about Cottingham coming in the top 3 do you by any chance John? :p

;)

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

So... do you intend putting this to the test in the tMP Areas Contest 2005 then John?

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Absolutely!

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Found the 1st section predictions particularly interesting seeing as 4BR appear to tip everyone for Harrogate. Admittedly it will be a close contest but even so!!

9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'd agree that Rienzi should make this a contest that's more about musical interpritation rather than technical ability, and hence, a very close contest in the main.

Can I qualify my tmp Predictions? Mods - I think everyone is capable of winning, can I have 15 points per contest irrespective of who wins? Thanks

Sam

10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

4bars only know as much as anyone else who takes note of the contest results.

11. missflugel

missflugel Member

Is it not more of a case of many of the bands taking part over the weekend not playing in many national competitions throughout the year and therefore 4barsrest, just like us go off what they know about the bands nationally. I dont think its just me who when they get to predicting the lower sections tend to take a bit of a stab in the dark, perhaps through ignorance or perhaps because some bands dont contest as much as others.

Also many thanks to johnflugel for his lovely if somewhat optimistic prediction for Sunday. Ah.. if only!!!

Jo x

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    North of England
    RAH
    First Section
    Second Section
    Championship Section
  13. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Harrumph!!!!! ;)

14. postie

postie Member

It's just another bunch of typical 4bars rest predicitons. They have about as much idea of who is going to be in the prizes as anyone on TMP. But at least it gets everyone talking every time they predict anything!!!!!!!!!

15. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

I know comments are not usually made on 4barsrest lack of detail or according to some their lack of knowledge, but the amount of comment/emails/threads on this subject on TMP, their letter page and other areas I think is just great!

If it's not... WHY HAVE THEY PREDICTED THAT?
    It's... WHY ARE WE NOT IN THE TOP 5 WHEN WE CAME X Y and Z, at X Y and Z CONTEST!
    or maybe... WE CERTAINLY SHOWED 4BARSREST WITH THEIR 14TH PLACED PREDICTION WHEN WE CAME 13TH!!

People love the predictions when they are in their favour and hate them when they aint! Hence the highly intelligent title by 4BARSREST of "Dodgy predictions"!!

I love that they generate so much discussion for our interest and entertainment.
    Thank you 4BARSREST and keep up the good work!! (genuinely!)

Apologies to all if I have massively changed the subject of this thread.

Best of luck to all bands whether you're in the predictions or not!!

James

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

Exactly - they make a point of calling them 'dodgy predictions' - difficult to argue with in most cases ;) - they're just an opinions and guesses.

So come on people make your own predictions count and enter the tMP Predictions Contest and help towards compiling the list of 'runners & riders' according to tMPers!

17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

If anyone could predcit the Lottery Numbers each week then lets have them on here.:)
    4 bars rest probably get some of the bands in the right order but not always.
    For example in 2003 they did not put us in the first 6 or as the darkhorse band we came 3rd and qualified, last year put us second we came 11th(Will not comment on that:mad: or some of the placings for that matter) this year who knows? but going on over the last 12 months thats all they can do just give a opinion.
    If they did get/put your band in the right position all the time then people would say "they are brilliant how do they do it"
    Or get all the placings right for each Area and each section for that matter.
    But its just there opinion and do not read to much into it.
    Just go to the Area this year and do the best you possilbly can in your performance of your test piece.
    All the best to all the bands at 2005 AREAS:clap:

18. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If anyone could accurately predict the results then everyone could save a lot of time and expense by not having the contest at all.

The only reason to even have predictions is to stimulate interest and discussion.

At least 4BR recognizes that predictions are difficult to do and should not necessarily be taken all that seriously.

19. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Think one or two have taken an observation about 4barsrest a little seriously. All that has been questioned is the fact that they have not really stuck their neck out. Brasscrest, I could turn the tables and say that if you are not going to be specific about your predictions (ie say every band could realistically make the finals) why bother publishing a prediction at all.

No offence intended here at all, just wanting to say that noone on here who has questioned 4barsrest been funny about it or irrate in anyway - so no need for anybody to jump to their defence.

20. bigcol

bigcol Member

I'm just pleased that they recognise there IS a fourth section ;)

They've got FRB to be 2nd this year - the last time they predicited great things for us we came nowhere. Should I be worried? :)

PS I've heard that Trimdon and Stanhope have pulled out? Rumour or truth?

21. Robb

Robb New Member

Not sure Brasscrest was 'jumping to their defence', as much as simply making a valid point. It's fairly easy to pick holes in 4br's coverage of just about anything - and people on this forum constantly do - for example, in this thread. Predicting contest results is even more 'dodgy' (to use their word) than trying to predict weekly football results (a pastime that constantly makes a mockery of so-called 'experts'). BUT - the 4br predictions do get everyone talking and are a bit of fun. So however much they resemble guesswork, they are a worthy addition to their coverage. But probably not an addition that warrants the lengthy criticism that it recieves here!

22. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Well I shot myself in the foot when I criticised their Butlins predictions so I'm being careful what I say now but with our past record in this contest I don't think they could have predicted us to come anything other than 4th or 8th. (they chose 4th this time) so we'll just have to wait and see how we do :clap:
    P.S. Don't know about the 4th section but in the 3rd we've heard rumours that Barnard Castle and Ripon have pulled out. Can anyone confirm this?