4B or not 4B

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alks, Aug 2, 2005.

1. alks

alks Member

Just a quick query on mouthpieces, I use a Wick 4B currently(standard line),but i was wondering if it is worth trying Roger webster 4B. I cant see how there could possibly much difference between the two? , has anyone tried both and what are the differences ? Are they worth it? Or are the RW series just a gimmick?

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The big difference between the two is the outer shape and the vast majority of players would be stunned at how much difference the outer shape of a mouthpiece can make.
    I know this through extensive testing - 7 mouthpieces, made to the same inner specifications, with differing outer shapes. Some worked better than others - one of which annoyed the manufacturer - one of the worst performers was actually the shape that was in production - oops - things have now changed.
    My advice would be to see if you can try one - compare it to your regular mouthpiece and see which you prefer.
    There is only one person who can decide which is the right mouthpiece for you - you. If you prefer the RW4B and it allows you to do what you want with it, fantastic. If you try it and prefer the standard, and it works for you - equally fantastic.

Much as it goes against the traditional brass band approach, just because someone else tells you that "mouthpiece x" is the only mouthpiece you should ever choose (even if that person is Roger Webster or Denis Wick), you should play the mouthpiece that works for you, not the one that somebody else uses.
  3. davidsait

davidsait Member

My mate used a Wick 4B for a long time and was very happy with it. He tried a 4BRW at a trade stand and was a converted man!
  4. ratley

ratley Member

Same here - I used a standard 4B for donkeys years, tried the RW4B and changed straight away! Having said that, I have now changed to a RW3B and have found it even better....
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I tried the standard 4B and didnt get on with it at all. Hated it...
    I've tried the RW4 but use the RW3 now and it makes a beautiful tone in comparison... the shape certainly makes a huge difference... totally converted.
  6. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

Get yourself a 3. much better tone and sound quality than 4 and 4RW.
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Definitely, especially if you're on a wide bore instrument.
  8. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

i cant stand 4b's not tried RW4b though. For years i used a 3 which gives a gorgeous sound although i found it a little difficult to get up high. in my last year of uni i changed to a 4 and have found it really suits me.
    My high register has definately improved and i still have a nice sound.
    My best advise is try a few different ones but give each one a good chance, u need to get used to a mouthpiece, i dont think u can play on it once and find the right one.

Good luck. finding the right mouthpiece can sometimes take a while. be patient. :)
  9. alks

alks Member

Thanks for the info, is it just the outer rim that's different on the RW's,?
    Ive also got a standard 3B ...(got for £8 on ebay) ..which i actually prefer the feel of as its slighlty wider than the 4b (sits better on the lips), however my sound changes to a more harsh (trumpet like) sound and playing in the higher register is suddenly unreliable... saying that i also have a yamaha 16E which produces an amazing tone but is just too wide for me to play up high. SO apart from trying the Roger websters , im not sure what to change to....its strange i feel that just the smallest of changes could make all the difference.... the 4b is cerntainly close to the mark, but still not just right......maybe the RW4b rim will suit a bit better?
  10. vonny

vonny Member

I remember shopping around for a mouthpiece as i didn't really have a clue which one would be best. I was told though that choosing mouthpieces etc is personal in that you use one that suits you... In the end i got a DW 4b and it's brilliant i think - but choosing the right mouthpiece is only a small contributor to creating a great tone, 'tone' i think is an ability of the individual player - whether it's 'good' or 'bad' so to speak

11. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

just out of interest to myself, give the DW4 a go and tell me what u think. it may be sad but it fascinates me how different people are suited to different mouthpieces. hehe boc boc boc
  12. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

13. alks

alks Member

Ive been playing around with the mouthpieces i have this weekend,

4B - my usual mouthpiece ....its ok but feels a little restrictive (too small) but it produces a reasonable tone and i can play higher (top a,b,c) for longer. There is certainly a nice sheen to the tone making it a little brighter and sweet.

3B - Feels better on the lips - that extra width really makes a difference, however my sound goes a bit tumpet like and harsh sounding. Playing higher is more difficult than the 4B, and is less safe.

Yamaha 16E - (resides in the bottom of my case, until this weekend). This feels really good on the lip and feels more comfortable. Sound is really nice but much darker ....getting closer to a flugal sound. Can tongue notes much more smoothly and double and triple tongueing is much easier and better and faster. Higher register above the stave is very tricky, top A's just about (sometimes) but b's and c's just nothing at all. Lips feel like jelly after trying.

Vincent Bach 7C - My first mouthpiece. Way too small a rim diameter- air escapes from everywhere. Rim shape digs in to lip and causes fatigue and pain. Bright tone. Do not gain anything in high register as you might expect? in fact playing high is thin sounding. (better for sop perhaps).

there seams to be pro's and cons for all the mouthpieces , this makes decision making difficult. The trouble is i cant just make a drastic decision because you need to maintain a reasonable standard in band ......so i think i might give a roger webster a go or just stick to what im used to - which will probably end up happening. ive tried swopping before ....but halfway through band practice i'll have to dig out my 4B just to make it to the end of practice. Arggghhh!.

14. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Yup, when I played the cornet for a bit (crap at it! lol), the 3 was the closest I could get to my normal 4F Flugel mouthpiece. Nice deep cup, brilliant for a nice deep sound...;)

Also, there are mixed opinions about those new plastic mouthpieces. I found that their great for playing high notes, but the tone is horrible with it. And pretty difficult to tune with them...
    Probably better for Trumpet players, screamers! :D
  15. andyp

andyp Active Member

16. persins

persins Member

I agree Vonny!!

The mouthpiece will only help so much but can improve or detract from what you already have. Buying an RW mouthpiece is not necessarily going to immediately give you his sound!!
    I would generally recommend the biggest mouthpiece that you can comfortably play with since it will give you the most control and allow you to widen the breadth of sound. It may initially restrict your range slightly but practice will take care of that little beauty!!
    Just a suggestion!