4 bars rest Scottish Retrospective

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by noddy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. noddy

noddy Member

Now that the Retrospective for the Scottish Championships has finally arrived - does anyone have any comments about it?:)
  2. AJR

AJR New Member

I thought that overall it was generaly pretty fair, although I have to say I thought the views on Kirkie's performance a bit harsh.

I actually enjoyed their performance which had good musical flow (for me anyway!), with only a few slips that maybe spoiled things a little.
  3. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

It all seemed pretty fair and a little more in depth than some of the other areas.

One question though, who is the mysterious David Crookston?
  4. AJR

AJR New Member

He's not that mysterious.....he's Kenny Crookston's brother.

And before any conspiracy theories start, I've generally always found him to be a pretty sound judge on bands.
  5. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Wasn't starting any conspiracy theories (Always the first thing us Scottish people say, why is every comment a conspiracy theory?), thought it was perhaps an assumed name for three or four people doing the reviews throughout the weekend!

At the end of the day, it wouldn't bother me who done them as they were pretty fair as I said above.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

David Crookston is one of Kenny's older brothers and is always at contests listening to bands. He doesn't hold any bias towards any band and has always been uncompromising when it comes down to giving opinions about performances. He is one of the most honest blokes when it comes down to banding and knows the Scottish scene inside out! Great thing about him is that he does all this unassumingly and never makes an issue out of something in front of others to create any contraversy. He would always get my thumbs up award for decency!

Borfeo, I would check your band's personel records ... he was a former horn player in your band! ;)
  7. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Thanks for those titbits BrassNeck.

Well that's my question answered.
    I was asking as I was under the impression that a couple of sections were done by different people over the course of the weekend. Wasn't aware of Kenny having a brother mind you, and I am only 24, so the Crookstons being in Broxburn band would've been before I was a twinkle in my dads eyes! No offence Kenny ;-)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... heheheh! Kenny might get his even older brother, Graeme, to sort you out! (wonder what he's doing these days? He moved abroad years ago)
  9. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

To be honest, I reckon his daughters could kick my butt!

Anyways, should maybe get this back on topic a little :)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... did he sum up your band's performance honestly?
  11. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Most definitely on both scores. B & L didn't turn up on the day, very poor and we knew it. The description of newlands performance was summed up nicely, and he was correct that we have future stars on Bass trombone and Baritone.
  12. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

"Bass led, built balance and a sweet sounding soprano" - Lochgelly loved the comments. We didn't hear Granite City so can't say if his comment about not being in the same class was fair but I've heard them in the past so I've no reason to doubt him :)
  13. Young Virtuoso

Young Virtuoso New Member

I felt Dalmellington should have been further up in the first section! Well done 2 Newtongrange though!