4 Bars Rest changes name to 'The Blandsman'

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bayerd, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Having read the majority of the retros after this year's areas I've got mention how erm..'sterile' they appear to be. I know in the past they've been slated for some of the more descriptive nature of them, but surely now they've gone too far the other way. A lot of them seemed a bit too much "Well done to the winners, they played great, there were other good performances and the following played solos well, a few reasonable ones and a couple who need to work harder, here's to next year!".

For me not nearly as entertaining as they used to be...................

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bars Rest
    The Blandsman
    solos
    majority
    retros
  3. flash harry

flash harry Member

I agree; however, I do not think that it was intentional. It may well have been down to the pieces that were on show... who knows.

One thing that did disappoint me was that they didn't take any 'risks' with their remarks. I would say that it is very rare that people will leave a contest (having heard every band) agreeing with every position given by the adjudicator. By the way, that is not an invitation for people to start slating the adjudicators (again).

I did like it when 4br used to congratulate the winners, but state that they were not their pick of the day, slate a band for being way off the mark etc.... It does appear to have become a bit 'conservative' these days.

For the majority of players, we do look at 4br after contest day for the 'retros' and we love it when they congratulate us and hate it when they criticise. Whatever they do, they have made a difference to banding in my opinion, a good one at that.

They do a great deal for brass banding, a lot of which is not given the appreciation which it deserves. Having said that, there is always room for improvement, and I think they know that.... which is a good thing.

4. RobBari

RobBari Member

they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... a bit like the mods here in a way eh...:biggrin::rolleyes:

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'll agree they've made a good difference, and that at one time perhaps got too vicious in their views. Now it seems they've gone too far the other way, and have yet to find the happy medium. Surely there's nothing wrong in stating an honest opinion and disagreeing with judges without it becoming a 'the judge got it wrong' type of report. It just feels like you can't really get a flavour for what the contests were like the way you could before.

7. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I think that in the past that 4BR have been slated on this Forum and on their Comments Forum for the 'how dare you...', 'I totally disagree with you...' and the 'I'm much more qualified than you (but don't make the effort to listen to all the bands in all the sections)...' type of comments.

I agree with their new approach - Every band is trying their best, so why slate them when they feel demoralised anyway - it is a hobby after all and good to be positive.

I don't think that 4BR will ever win! I've been in a band when it's been winning and winning, then relegation out of the Championship and it's pretty much fallen apart. To get a band together for 2 years of Areas afterwards was a huge effort and would not appreciate being ripped apart for trying to do so.

Well done 4BR.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think the 4BR team just struggled to find humorous anecdotes for Festival Music and Three Inventions. :rolleyes: Plenty of evidence for the others in the other section retros!

9. Willie Webster

Willie Webster New Member

I think 4barsrest is probably realising there's only so much you can do with brass bands after 7 years.

It will only get more stale as the novelty wears off.

4barsrests' obvious prejudices to its own favourites does begin to grate after a while and I know I'm not alone in thinking this.

4barsrest rules are as follows........

"Never criticise your mates but everyone else is fair game"

"If your mates play or conduct poorly and don't figure come results time, have an e-strop on their behalf"

"Make up some utterly pointless ranking system which nobody understands but 4barsrest pretend they do and woe betide anybody who knocks it"

"Fawn over anybody who is remotely well known"

"Come up with stupid concepts like "Scouting report- this week from another country called Wales"

"Apart from Cory and Tredegar, we are honour bound, being not English or Scottish to have every band that is not English or Scottish at least 30 places higher in the rankings than they really should be"

There's probably more but I'm bored now.

Blandsman yes but Scrapingthebottomofthebarrelabitnowadaysman, definitely.

10. Willie Webster

..................and another thing. Can we all stop calling banding 'a movement'
    I went to the doctors last week and was just telling him how we'd done at the areas and he stopped me and said "No Willie, how are your bowels?"

11. flash harry

flash harry Member

Willie Webster,

Whilst your post made me smile, you come across as someone who's glass is half full. A pity.

Until someone else supports your view, your comment of "I know I'm not alone in thinking is" is unfounded.

As you admit to have been tracking 4br for 7 years, I would say that you have been quite interested in them.... until now that is....

Harry.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bars Rest
    The Blandsman
    solos
    majority
    retros
  13. Willie Webster

My glass is actually half empty!People do agree with me. Just because nobody has agreed with me on here in the last nine hours doesn't make it blatantly untrue.For the same reason, if someone comes on here in a minute and says4barsrest is the best thing since sliced bread, that wouldn't be untrue either.People have differing views, someone may actually really like 4br, some people don't like the preaching (me and others) and some go on for a look (me too)Doesn't mean to say I have to like it but there's not much else is there!CheersWW

14. flash harry

flash harry Member

WW,

My mistake, it is half empty.

Why read it (4br) if you don't like it?

Harry.

15. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

They never even mentioned Shirley Band (Mids 1st Section). Mind you they never said much about us in the past; their comments always seemed to have been obtained from some bloke down the pub who might have heard us through some closed doors!

16. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

You could go to a seance...:)

17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Tried that once, their predictions are even worse!:p

18. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

probably the best way to form an opinion on any band. It always sounds better! More in tune, less overblown etc

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'll second that motion..............

20. Playabit

Playabit Member

Well said, just read what was said about the 4th section and the writer who passed comment on the bottom 6 lumping us all together was actually with his own band in a different room playing his own test piece when we played so how does he get to comment on how we actually played wouldnt mind if he was a musician he's only a drummer...;)

4 bars rest grips my ****...

21. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Drawing number 2.........

I think having so many contests on the same day did not help.
    Some new names at the bottom of a lot of articles.

22. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

My favourite recently is "I don't think they can grumble with their placing of..." (realise that they've got the place wrong later on, don't change anything else except the number so it still reads..) "I don't think they can grumble with their placing of..." :)