3rd Section Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andreww, Mar 4, 2009.

1. andreww

andreww Member

I've really enjoyed working with the Once and Future King over the past month or so, just wondered what people's opinions were on their favourite 3rd section test piece.
  2. stooge

stooge New Member

Tam O'Shanter's Ride.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Out of all theThird Section Test Pieces I've played Tam O'Shanter's Ride was the most fun to play. My next favourite would probably be Vizcaya. And Entertainments had it's playful moments. Prelude and Jubilate's best bit was the manic drums :)
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Isn't "Tam" a bit of a toughie for most 3rd Section bands or am I out of touch ?
    ( I know it was used at the 3rd Section Nationals a while ago but.........?)

- Wilkie
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. andreww

andreww Member

I fancy getting out Royal Parks by George Lloyd, but have a feeling that may be too hard also!
  6. not played many contests myself either, but of all the ones i have done, the most enjoyable piece i have played is oceans by goff richards. its also the most successful one i have played too. with a 2nd and a 4th coming from it.
  7. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

A Saddleworth Festival Overture and Triptych for brass band. Music for a festival. St Austell Suite.
  8. stooge

stooge New Member

It was third section area test piece in 2005, we won on it, and it's more memorable than the national's piece that year (which I can't actually remember) and they are the only third section test pieces I've played, that's why it's my favourite.

As far as difficulty goes, I don't remember it being the most difficult test piece, probably tricky to get the style right, but that wasn't the question.
  9. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

A Gallimaufry Suite, Stooge. I too would have said tam, however it is the only 3rd section piece i've played!
  10. LostBass

LostBass New Member

At the risk of shooting myself in the foot (I haven't seen the 2nd baritone part for either of the following) how about Swiss excursions or Hollywood
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

you are spot on with these pity i was not in 3rd section when these were picked GREAT Solo Baritone parts they all have got And 2 are by my favorite Brass Band composer as well non other than the man himself
    Gilbert Vinter:clap: a pity this man did not live longer than he did just think of what would have been wrote by him every test piece he wrote is just topdraw.
    This is my first time in 3rd section this year at area since i played at the National Finals in 1977 and WON on
    Rhapsody On British Sea Shanties by Donald Osgood.
    He was in the box that day along with Ken Dennison
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  12. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Our band played this for a M/H/TP competition not so long ago, but I was under the impression it was used as a 2nd section test piece for the Regionals. :-? Anyway yeah a great Euph part for Oceans.. I really enjoyed it.
  13. xRinat

xRinat Member

Royal Parks, Connatation, Partita, Elgar Variations, Extreme Make-over, Concerto grosso, Tristan Encounters, Year of the dragon, Revelation, Paganini Variations and so on..
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

3rd section??? I know lower section bands in Norway like ambitious choices, but even so :eek:
  15. Gman

Gman New Member

I have used Dimensions and Hollywood for own choice test piece compeitions with a 3rd section band.

Both good fun to work at, playable and not too tricky round the stands.
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Gotta be Music For a Festival!!
  17. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

You are kidding, right?! For 3rd section?! :confused:

Loads of other good suggestions on this thread. I've really enjoyed Music For A Festival, Oceans, Dimensions, Hollywood, Triptych, Dark Side Of The Moon.

Hollywood doesn't even feel like a test piece... more like an extended version of Breezin' Down Broadway.
  18. xRinat

xRinat Member

holy..! I am so sorry, i didnt realize it was 3rd section you where looking for. Well here are some I have played wich suits the 3rd section well:
    Music for a festival, Triptych, Concerto for band, Sinfonietta, Essay for band and.. Cant remember more.
  19. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I rather like Partita: Postcards from Home by Philip Wilby, which I remember playing in the 3rd section at Pontins some years back. Plenty to keep everyone interested but nothing massively scary on any of the parts, and useful (either single movements or as a whole piece) in concerts as well.
  20. xRinat

xRinat Member

I think partita might be too hard for 3rd section.