3rd and 4th Section Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Oct 7, 2010.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

Thinking ahead to the NZ Nationals here in Auckland next year and a good test pieces for the band I conduct to play.

Has anyone had a look at the Area pieces for third/fourth section next year? Any good?

Any others fairly new that are worth a look?
  2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Hi Marc,

You can't go wrong with Once and Future King (Andy Baker), fantastic, good percussion if you get the original swiss open version, something for everyone to do, and music to make as MD. . .
  3. Frontman

Frontman Member

Facets of Glass.
    Music for Festival
    Dark Side of the Moon.

These are one or two suggestions.
  4. nethers

nethers Active Member

Cheers Frontman,

I've heard this once or twice and it's a good piece, is it achievable by your average 4th section band? Neither played or conducted it before!
  5. Frontman

Frontman Member

It is achievable after a great deal of intense rehearsal.

Most lower section bands who attempt it sound somewhat under rehearsed, so a lot of hard work by all is required to do it justice.

If you want an effective 4th Section Test Piece I would suggest The Dark Side of the Moon by Paul Lovatt Cooper. It is not half as intense as Dimensions.
  6. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

I typesett a piece called St. Andrew's Variation by Alan Fernie a couple of years ago. This should be ok for the 4th Section, I think it was used in Australia for a contest last year or the year before. I conducted it when I was at Whitwell when we played at Leicester a couple of years ago. Not over difficult but as usual with Alan's pieces, a good tune and good variations. Plenty to do for all the sections in the band.