3 Slow Movements from a test piece to form One TestPiece in 3 movements

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

There are some really wonderful and great 2nd&slow movements in test pieces if you could pick 3 2nd/slow movements to form a test piece up of 3 movements which 3 would you choose.

1:ROMANCE "Salute To Youth"
    2:ELEGY "Epic Symphony"
    3:ELEGY "Downland Suite"
  2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I think it'd make a pretty dull test-piece ian, however good the three you chose were. ;)

Gotta be the middle movement of Year of the dragon in there for me. Fabulous piece of writing.

And the bass quartet from Pagannini variations.
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

2nd Mvmt "Tournament for Brass" (Ball)
    2nd Mvmt "Symphonic Suite" (Leighton Lucas)
    2nd Mvmnt "Festival Music" (Ball)

And I'll throw in a "Bonus Ball" with 2nd mvmnt "Moorside Suite" (Holst)

All classics of the "Brown" library.
    Hair raising stuff (When I had enough !)

- Wilkiie
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

'Nativity' from "...dove descending" (Wilby) followed by middle movt "Year of the Dragon" and slow middle bit of "Sounds"(Golland)?
  5. David Mann

David Mann Member

Not sure about 3 slow movements (lack of structure) but I'd quite like to hear a piece that had 4 movements slow / fast / fast / slow, rather like Tschaik 6. Maybe The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is a bit like that. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.
  6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

1st: middle mov of Year of the dragon
    2nd: 1st mov of 'The Seasons'
    3rd: 2nd movement of Divertimento

tough call would equally have added middle section of Triptych or Music for a festival, or parts of Essence of Time.
  7. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Year of the Dragon
    Music for a Festival

Well I never, will you look at that... ?All Phillip Sparke's - the master of middle movements...!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
  8. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

what about ;
    Carnival Romaine
    Variations on a ninth?
    Too many middle movements to choose from Ian, it's doing my head in!!!
    (Jasper's Dance from 'Pineapple poll' is lovely)
    Tournament for Brass, Rhapsody in Brass, Three Musketeers, Festival Music, Connotations.... my head hurts!
  9. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I love the 2nd mvt from Montage, the one from Moorside Suite and the final one I'd pick is a solo piece - the Derek Beourgois Trombone Concerto........I do love Year of the Dragon too though.
  10. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

A Time for Peace from 'Essence of Time', and then the 2nd mvmnts of Salute to Youth and Epic Symphony :)

May now spend a while mesing around on the computer and see how it would actually sound.......
    is that geeky?!
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call the 1st movement of Tchaik 6 slow. It's more complex than that, and has plenty of fastness in it.

Not sure about this concept - it strikes me as being like having a jam sandwich without the bread...
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

...or perhaps its just the same as asking "what are your 3 favourite slow movements?" :rolleyes:
  13. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Not sure I like this concept either. After all - where would you put the drum solo?
  14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I think your avatar has the solution you need
  15. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

:D How very dare you!!
  16. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

That's got to be a serious contender for post of the year Dave :clap: :tup
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Guys - the person who started this thread has contacted us twice now, concerned that his thread is being 'distroyed' - and asking us to request that you all 'get back on to TOPIC PLEASE rather than put silly comments'.

Thank you! ;)
  18. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Perhaps better not mention sausages then eh?................ :(
  19. impycornet

impycornet Member

Careful Shippo, you know Ian doesn't like 'been' upset :confused:

Don't know about 'distroying' the thread, but wouldn't we be in danger of 'distroying' an already fragile contest audience with a piece of 3 slow movements ? Suppose it gives the old dears something to sleep through ?
    And what would the percussion guys do - take a month off?
  20. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Personally I wouldn't choose those 3, but what a great idea Ian. I can't think why it's never been done before........