3,600 Miles for a Euphonium Solo!

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Highams, May 22, 2006.

1. Highams

Highams Member

The U.K. welcomes American composer Joe Miserendino from Pennsylvania later this week as he flies into Heathrow. Joe’s visit centres around the premiere of the wind band version of his ‘Willson Concertante’, written for Willson Euphonium artist Charley Brighton, to be performed at St. Paul’s Church Covent Garden, London on Sunday (28th.) by the City of London Symphonic Winds, conductor John Andrews.

The concert is also part of Charley’s 2006 celebrations, marking 40 years of Euphonium playing.

Joe writes; “I am retired and have been seriously writing music since 2000. All my life I have been in love with music but never had a chance to pursue it. I have written for a variety of solo instruments especially Euphonium, Tuba and Cello - but also Bassoon, Oboe and Contrabass. Also various brass and wind ensembles - Orchestra, Brass Band and Symphonic Winds. I have made many friends around the globe through the Internet and email. I've exchanged ideas and music with people in New Foundland, Sweden, England, Tacoma, Scotland, Hungary, Grenada and Yugoslavia.

The Willson Concertante,

The Willson Concertante was written for and dedicated to a good friend and fine musician, to celebrate his new partnership as a performing artist with Willson Band Instruments of Switzerland. I wanted to write a piece that would show the range, versatility, power and beauty possible with the Euphonium – a still very much under-appreciated instrument. The Euphonium & Piano version was premiered in February 2005 by Charley, with Malcolm Stowell, piano, at St. Mary’s Parish Church, Slough, Berkshire.

The first movement – Con Bravura – as the name suggests shows off the robust full throated capabilities inherent in the Euphonium. One could consider the opening cadenza as a proud declaration. Throughout the movement the Euphonium keeps announcing its powerful presence.

In the second movement – Notturno Adagio – I wanted to show the rich beauty of the instruments singing voice. This type of “song” makes it so clear why the Euphonium is declared the Cello of the brass choir. The first theme is a soft longing voice – while the second is a joyful song. Both emotions well within the capability of the instrument.

Finally in the third movement – Vivace Con Brio – we can witness the versatility and technical dexterity possible when the instrument is in the hands of a true artist. It is intentionally challenging and driving and the Euphonium proves to be up to the challenge. And though it is considered a “bass” instrument the movement shows the Euphonium can be as uplifting, exciting and joyful as any other commonly accepted solo instrument.

Joe’s music can be heard on line at;

Live recordings from Charley’s recitals can be heard on line at;
  2. Highams

Highams Member

Two great concerts over the weekend, one surprise recital of Joe's music for him at St. Mary's on saturday, and the City of London Winds concert on sunday, where Joe's music was 'cheered' by the band when he stepped up for the applause.

Couple of pics here with recordings on AP to follow;

3. Highams

Highams Member

As I write this, Joe is well on his way back to the US, we shall miss him!

Here's 2 recordings from the concerts, Introduction & Allegro for euphonium & organ and the final movement of the Willson Concertante in a sparkling new arrangement for euphonium & winds;

4. Highams

Highams Member

5. Highams

Highams Member

6. Highams

Highams Member

The Willson Concertante, recently premiered at London's Covent Garden by Willson artist Charley Brighton, has inspired young 8 year old Toby Hodges who has been learning the Euphonium for the past 18 months.

Toby and his family travelled up from Surrey to central London for the concert and also met with the composer Joe Miserendino, visiting from the U.S.A.

Toby's mother, Linda, a cornet player, also brought them along to Charley's previous recital at St. Mary's Slough, where his sister, Faith, was so taken with the organ, she asked to have lessons too!

Toby is currently awaiting results of his first Grade 1 examination, part of which was an essay on meeting the performers and composer from the concert.

Programme notes, photographs and recordings from the London concert can be found here;