2nd Section

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HBB, Mar 13, 2003.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just noticed that the 2nd section Test piece is "Sunset Rhapsody",

does anyone know where I can find some information about it?

THanx

Ben :)

2. one_careful_owner

one_careful_owner New Member

When we found out that's what we were playing, we checked our library and found most of a set.

We haven't actually tried it yet but it looks a fairly dull piece with not a lot to get your teeth into (sorry to all the Ball fans! ).

We can't find a recording though. Searched high and low for it but no luck. If anyone knows where to get a copy it would be much appreciated. :D

3. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

It was the test piece for the second section at Pontins last year, wasn't it?

4. picju96

picju96 Member

Yup it was v boring and we came 20th out of 22 so i could be biased, but its c**p.

5. Heather

Heather Member

I know it quite well and I don't think its a very inspiring piece.
    Think they could have perhaps found a better one for this contest in particular!

6. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Sunset Rhapsody was recorded by the CWS Manchester band years ago and it comes across as a fine piece of music, perhaps not as rhthmically challenging as some of todays pieces but it does give the band a chance to show off a nice round tuneful sound. Eric Ball knew how to challenge a band not just with technical demands but the very basics, tone, phrasing and style. If your band doesn't solve these basic problems the piece won't work. The rhapsody is full of well composed ideas and any band that works on it will be a far better band than when they started! As with all Eric Balls works the difficulty is inherant in the music and it is up to us to bring out its secrets.

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

sounds alot like a piece i played recently in the championship section area qualifiers ;) ;) (except eric always sticks a nice tune in somewhere)

8. frisp

frisp Member

Out of step again, I'm afraid :D-apart from Flash. Really good piece, nice to play and to listen to. Even better than Celestial Prospect :!:

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well I think that we all have our own opinions, and it depends on your instrument (i.e. Horn) and your placement (i.e 2nd Horn)

I mean the solo cornet may find it brill ===== a challenge, nice melodies,

where as the basses are protesting ====> its borring, dull c**d.

Not that this topic matters ----- we'd be lucky to get into the top 6 :D:D:D

Ben ;)

10. frisp

frisp Member

I play BBb Bass and, as I've said, I really like it 8)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Section Just
    Test
    Sunset Rhapsody
    Ben
    section Test piece
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just an analogy :D :D:D:D:D:D Sorry .... :? :? :?

13. frisp

frisp Member

No need for apologies, each to their own view!!

There's not a subject in the world everyone will agree on (especially a piece of music) :roll:

14. Markus IOM

Markus IOM New Member

I'm with Frisp on this one. I think Sunset Rhapsody is a cracking piece. Just a little disapointed its the test piece for the Nationals as we did it at Pontins last year!

Never mind

Markus
    Manx Concert Brass