2nd Jazz Suite Waltz Schostakovich

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ROBTHEDOG, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

WALTZ No.2 (From Jazz Suite No.2)

Any one know any 'good' arrangements of the Waltz from the Schostakovich Jazz Suite

I'd just watched Eyes Wide Shut (Again :redface:) and wondered how it worked for band ???

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jazz Suite No.2
    Waltz
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Jazz Suite Waltz Schostakovich
    Schostakovich Jazz SuiteI
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nigel Hall has arranged it and it is on sale here. No idea what quality it is though!

4. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Ta... Anyone know Nigel's arrangement ??

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nigel might ... ;) (PM him)

6. mark_scott

mark_scott Member

There's an Alan Fernie arrangement available to buy from Obrasso, were playing it at the moment, it's a cracking arrangement - true to the original.

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Our band played it at rehearsal last friday. Not bad.

8. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Ah but did you know its not from the Jazz suite no.2 but from another suite. The jazz suite no2 only contains three items and was found later if memory serves me right the suite is called suite for variety orchestra, but once again I could be proved wrong.

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes I heard the same story playing with Bestwood the other week. Apparently Classic FM attribute the Jazz Suite every time it's played too - which is apparently wrong. The Alan Fernie arrangement is a cracking piece - it's been in our pad a little too long though but it's always fun to play.

10. we play the Fernie arrangement, really like it. A very playable arrangement while sounding good and keping the original style. Would recommend it!

11. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

It seems to be a popular arrangement (even if I say so myself), and one of my personal favourites.

Lawrencediana - The orginal Jazz Suite (No 1) has 3 movements, the 2nd suite has about 9 of which this is a part - I have also arranged the March from this suite - I bought a copy of the orchestral score of both of these from B&H to make the arrangements so they are pretty true to the original. I've never seen the Alan Fernie arrangement so I cannot comment on it.

Please use www.mmi-music.co.uk to order rather than www.mmimusic.co.uk as this is the current site and has a Paypal Shopping Cart on it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jazz Suite No.2
    Waltz
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Jazz Suite Waltz Schostakovich
    Schostakovich Jazz SuiteI
  13. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I read on t'internet thingy that for ages the suite we know as the second jazz suite was in fact another piece entitled suite for variety stage orchestra or something like that and that more recently another score has turned up containing 3 movements which is believed to be the real 2nd Jazz suite, perhaps someone will enlighten us all.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ascot Brass played Nigel's arrangement on Satruday, and it worked beautifully. Frank Renton was conducting it, and spent some time explaining its origins, confirming that it is taken for a suite written for the State Variety Stage Orchestra, established at Stalin's behest to show that anything the west could do the Soviets could do also.

15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Ah, you cant go wrong with Frank's knowledge. There we have it, in a nutshell!!

16. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

[​IMG]

18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

On the CD I got, the suit is listed as "Suite for Variety Orchestra No. 1 (Jazz Suite No. 2)'
    (the Jazz suite No. 1 is on the CD a swell, together with two overtures)

The sleeve notes (written by someone called Dr. David Doughty) say the following:
    A second Jazz suite followed in 1938, written especially for the State Jazz Orchestra of Vikto Krusnevitsky, but the score was lost somehow during the ensuing War. The suite has been reconstructed from a piano score by Gerald McBurney who arranged three movements for a London Promenade Concert in 2000, drawing material from earlier theatre and film scores (including 'The Gadfly'). The suite was later enlarged to eight numbers and has enjoyed a certain popularity from then on.

(the timeline is not really clear to me, because The Gadfly was written in 1955...)

19. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

This from Wikepedia. "The Suite for Variety Stage Orchestra was for many years misidentified as the "Lost" Suite for Jazz Orchestra No, 2 (1938) a different work that was lost during world war II. A piano score of the Jazz Suite was rediscovered and orchestrated by Gerard McBurney in 2000. The suite was first performed in a western country on 1st December 1988 in Barbican hall London.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008