2nd Belgian band for the European Championships

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Jan H, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday, at the board meeting of VLAMO, the flemish amateur music organisation, and the official Belgian representative in the European Brass Band Association, a shock decision was made regarding the 2nd Belgian band that will be competing in this years European Brass band Championships in Birmingham.

Because Brass Band Willebroek became European champion last year in northern Ireland, Belgium was entitled a second contender this year. Normally, this place would have a gone to the second placed band in the Belgian National championships, which took place last December: the Metropole Brass Band from Antwerp, conducted by Guy Audenaert.

However, shortly after the championships, rumours emerged that there was a "registration problem", involving a player who had moved from Brass Band Buizingen to Metropole Brass Band. Buizingen came third in the national championships, and they filed an official complaint with VLAMO.

After a throrough investigations of the rules, the submitted lists of registered players and the actual players who signed the participants' lists on the day of the championships, some other facts came to lights as well. It appeared that not only Metropole was in breach, but Buizingen and the 4th placed band, Festival Brass Band from Mechelen, as well! Although it is not really clear right now which players this is about.

As result, VLAMO has now decided that the invitation for the European Champions will go to Kortrijk Brass Band, the 5th and last placed band in the championship section. Should they decline the invitation, it will go to the Noord-Limburgse Brass Band, who were the champions in the First Division, and by that gained promotion to the championship section.

It's unlikely that the last word has been said about this...

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Wow, that's a bit of a scandal!! Hope it gets sorted without too much rioting!

3. Jan H

well, it seems that the organisation has been a bit "lenient" in the past couple of years, and because of the official complaint this year, there seems to have been no other option than the current decision.

As a gneral comment, I have to say that the Belgian registration rules have always been a bit less strict than the British ones. Bands are allowed to "lend" two players to bands in another section which in practice meant that some people are members of two bands at the same time. But there was also a time limit for transfers and new registrations. Apparently that was the area of the rules that had been sometimes interpreted in a "flexible" way before...

I must say that this news has not been officially released by VLAMO yet, but it was confirmed to me independently by people that are involved in two of the bands concerned.

I would also like to stress that, as to my knowledge, no irrelugarities what so ever were found in the registrations of Brass Band Willebroek.

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Crikey Jan, that's a bit of a mixed bag eh. Is there any time frame for them to accept?

5. Get rid of that registration thing. It doesn't serve any purpose at all...

6. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Oh dear, sounds like a right confuddlement to me

7. pantarheipaul

pantarheipaul Member

As VLAMO-representative I can confirm this message fram JAN.

8. Jan H

Thanks Paul.
    I've tried to be as objective as possible.

9. pantarheipaul

pantarheipaul Member

Brassband Kortrijk has descided to come as 2nd representative to the 2007 EBBC in May.