29 years ago today.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Red Elvis, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

....since the King , Elvis Aaron Presley left us . I was only seven and staying at my granmother's at the time .

So today I have my black tie on at work and his music playing in my office . Any of you lot remember what you were doing / where you were that day ?

Any more fans out there marking the day ? ( help me out here Miss Presley if you are still about !!! )
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I've said it before, and i have no problem saying it again!
    1) You are not elvis! Get over it!!
    2) Saddo!

3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

harsh ;)

29 years ago today, I was 3 1/2 so I will have been living in Wigston, Leicester and will have been blissfully unaware of Elvis Presley or his demise.
  4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I was delivering the papers and laughing at all the girls that were hysterical. I was young then :oops:
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Elvis is not dead.

I saw him at the Kenneth More Theatre in Ilford Essex, not a month ago.

He was dressed in a pink sari. wearing a veil, being carried on a stretcher pushed by two porters wearing mock lederhosen, whilst reading the News of the World.

Baksheesh, Bak-she-esh, A-a-a-llah.....

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's wierd, I can remember hearing on the news that he'd snuffed it, but for the life of me I can't think what I was doing at the time (I was only 7 tho). I do remember it was the silver Jubilee year.

Miss Presley doesn't come on here any more...she got fed up with all the pointless bickering and sniping that started happening. She's till happily tootling along on flugel with us tho.
  7. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Thought I'd not seen her online for a good while - pass on my regards to her !

Will The Sec - The dress was totally necessary in terms of the musical integrity of the work !!!!

Kelly - Don't make me come and kick your **** for you !!!
  8. 2nd man down

I just texted her...she says Hi!
  9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I have no idea. I was 8. I'd just been presented with my 2nd little brother in two years and we were about to move house. Dead singists were the least of my worries at the time.
    I do have Best Of Elvis in the car so will play it as we go shopping.
  10. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

It wasn't at midnight when i was reminded of the somewhat tragic event. Hmmm, I don't think my sleep pattern really appreciated it!

BE- I hope you are not threatening me!

I wasn't even remotely thought about let alone even born 29 years ago! Can't say it has effected that much!
  11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

There is a movie producer who is offering a $3,000,000 USD reward for conclusive proof that Elvis is alive.

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My elder brother (an Elvis fanatic) is away on holiday to Graceland .... peace at last!

TIMBONE Active Member

I was doing some shopping at the Stretford Arndale Centre, I popped into Tandy for something, and the guy behind the counter told me. I must admit, at the time, I wasn't a big fan of Elvis, (maybe something to do with me associating him with my eldest brother in the 1950's :) ). I seem to have changed a bit, (go to the Pop/Light Music page on my website, click on the Details page, and you will see me looking over his shoulder at the Benidorm Palladium - he is there 365 days a year ;) ). Maybe my change has something to do with the popularity of my "Presley in Mind" medley. "Presley in Mind No.2" has not been as popular, because there is no singing in it! Mind you, it does open with a Flugel solo, which I did because Miss Presley was so complimentary about the first one, but I don'e think she knows that.
  14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Respect , Timbone !!!!

Keep them coming !

Got a great idea for Becontree's next ents contest .... my jumpsuit is in the same colours as the band tunics as well !!!
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I was going to say that you were seriously sad for listening to music that went out of fashion before you were even born.
    But then I realised we're on a Brass band forum and we are all probably playing pieces which were written before we were all born.

Didn't care too much for Elvis as I can't stand classic Rock 'n' Roll. However I must concede he could knock out a few good ballads.
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I was -10 years old at the time - I don't think I was up to anything interesting...

Good musician though! Not really my thing, but brillant all the same! :)
  17. 2nd man down

HUH?!?!?!? Your profile says you're only 19!!??? That makes you minus 10 even using my dodgy maths!
  18. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Umm . . . Crawf . . . she did say minus 10 (-10).
  19. 2nd man down

Oh yeah...*slaps forehead*...i took that to be a pause not a minus. Oops! :oops:

It's reassuring really, cos it probably means that although I have very little hair left, I actually should have a full head of blonde locks!
  20. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Oh dear.....:rolleyes: :tongue: