250 Turkey Crowns Cancelled

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

As you all know im a Butcher and work for a busy cartering Butchers who supply meat to Hotels,Pubs Restraunts etc.
    Last year we were finding it hard to supply all our customers with Turkey Crowns 500 in number and had to get some more in to take it to 700, due to such high demand.
    So this year our gaffer ordered 800.
    On Wednesday he cancelled 250 of them due to the lack of demand for them.
    The signs around in the; Hotel Restraunt ,Pub, trade are very quiet with places saying they are not as BUSY as last year and takings are well down, even the Wholesalers are saying that.
    The questions are
    Do you think that the spirit of Christmas is dying out and people do not want to go out for a Turkey meal before Christmas or with prices going up ie Fuel etc?
    People cant afford to go out/dont want anymore for that pre Turkey meal?
    I value your sensible comments
    Thank You
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

This has shocked me deeply. This short fall in requirements for Turkey crowns will have a heavy impact on the Norfolk economy. Already fuel for those new fangled cars has gone up in price and the planned implementation of electricity has been put back to 2009.

I hope your boss realises the effect his actions have had on Norfolk.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No, more likely people have been put off by bird flu etc. The added cost probably has something to do with it though - not only from higher fuel prices but also the ever growing cost of grain which is used to feed the birds.
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Speaking personally, the reason I don't go out for a 'pre Turkey meal' is I don't know what a 'pre Turkey meal' is. :rolleyes:
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

C'mon, it's the in flight breakfast prior to landing in Istanbul. :rolleyes:
  6. Bungle

Bungle Member

I think some people went out an bought frozen turkeys earlier in the year than usual thinking there would be a shortage after the bird flu virus. Also I guess people are buying large chickens from supermarkets, which are cheaper (£6.50) and you don't have those days of turkey meals after.
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

bird flu
    smoking ban
    saving up for that trip to Euro 2008 next year :)
    planetary alignment

take your pick
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Just another thought, they have found a cheaper supplier and are fobbing you off with excuses.
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Perhaps the Jenhovas Whitness's have had more sucess than usual?
    Perhaps the rumours are true and the world will end on Christmas eve?
    Is Beef becoming the new Turkey?
    So many unanswered questions?

What if all these people have ordered their Turkey dinner (or "pre-Turkey dinners") from Santa this year, and are eagerly awaiting delivery on Christmas morning?
  10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Agree that turkey isn't as popular, but i think it's chicken coming in
  11. on_castors

on_castors Member

Are people finally getting the message that Turkey is the worst meat there is for roasting? Almost any other way of cooking it works better, but left WHOLE and given a long slow drying out, however good quality it is, it ends up like sliced pipe insulation on the plate.

It is now also an "everyday" product, so why pick that for the biggest food event of the year? No-one would suggest a burger for Christmas Day, so why would you have turkey!
  12. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Turkey caused us a havoc one christmas. The family had come round for Christmas dinner, and we were having turkey.The turkey was too big, so we had to go to another house to cook the stupid thing
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I think I'll give Mrs B a good old goose for Christmas
  14. David Mann

David Mann Member

A posh way of saying boiled egg, perhaps..
  15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Never understood why Turkey is so popular. Do we have to copy everything the Americans do? Don't have Turkey in my family mainly because I'm a teacher, my dad used to be and my sister is training to be one, so have already had turkey before it gets to christmas day. Usually have Duck or Goose which are both far nicer imo. Duck this year.
  16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I would imagine the down turn in Turkey sales could be just an indicator of the general downturn in the economy this xmas with many retailers reporting a drop in sales from previous years in most goods.
  17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Post-Turkey meal!!! :p
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Presumably that would be the Ottaman Empire one :oops:
  19. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I agree, people have probably been put off by the recent reports of bird flu in the news.

Personally I think that the Turkeys are rebelling and just start sniffling and coughing in November to save their necks. It backfires horribly though when they are all culled.
  20. David Mann

David Mann Member

I think it's another part of "canoe mans" fiendish and cunning plot..