2018 Area test pieces

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by lawrence martin, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Aye, would love to see Harrison's Dream picked - lovely music, tests bands in many ways without being unplayable and would separate the bands out perfectly, it'd be a great choice.

Mesmerist likes this.
  2. BarkingIron72

BarkingIron72 New Member

I had heard a faint rumour that 'On The Shoulders Of Giants' was in the running for Champ section in 2018...

3. Tom-King

I heard that for 2017.... And 2016...

Could be wrong but I'm not taking that particular rumour too serious myself.

4. tubamaest

tubamaest Member

Yes I've heard Giants also!!!

5. Andrew Maguire

Andrew Maguire New Member

Does anyone have any ideas of the 3rd section test piece please.

Cornet23 likes this.
  6. Cornet23

Cornet23 Member

Would also like to know this! Subbing!

7. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

BassMittens had heard a rumour – see earlier in the thread – that it would be Dimensions for S3 although to be fair it would be a far tougher test for 3rd section bands than those put forward in the last few years. S3 should be still very much about the basics – as should all sections, but once youre up to S2 and higher, consistent and tuneful playing should be more of a “given”. I think the challenges of Dimensions may subtract from that in S3 for many bands…..although it would separate the “men from the boys” I guess

8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

You'd think that after the last three years of having pieces that were composed with the 4th section in mind, that this year might be a tough one in the 3rd section. I heard a rumbling of perhaps something like Valerius Varitions for the 4th section and if previous posters are suggesting another Vinter piece, my money would be on Symphony of Marches, seeing as Cory recorded it not long ago.

That said I've no idea, not long to go though until we find out!

9. tubamaest

tubamaest Member

Odessey Kevin Norbury is getting thrown around a lot for top sec,anyone played it? 1999 Europeans I believe!!

10. Lets put it this way
    The bands who have recorded the AREA CD earlier in the year know what ALL the test pieces are !!!!!!
    So if you know anyone who as done the area cd just ask them or are they not allowed to say.
    I don't know how you lot work in a brass band these days as I don't play in one anymore just a Jazz Band but used to play in a brass band many years ago

11. Tom-King

They often recycle old recordings for the area CD

12. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with his compositions, Tom, so - just out of curiosity - do you dislike his work per se, or is it just that you've played too much of it over the last few years?

Best regards,

Jack

13. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

True, however, they do ask permission from the band concerned - or they used to.

Tom-King likes this.
  14. Tom-King

True

15. Euphonium Lite

Kapitol have started doing clues - apparently the 4th section piece will start with a "W"

Quick check of brass band results seems to indicate Whealdon Rhapsody, last used as a finals piece in 88, and 73 before that, so probably ripe for another runout?

16. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Willow Pattern? was 3rd section finals 8 years ago (ish)

17. Euphonium Lite

Not sure a S3 Finals piece would be moved to S4 area so quickly, but ..... could be.....

18. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

just a wild stab in the dark..........:)

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  19. Euphonium Lite

Got a sneaky feeling actual announcement will be tomorrow/Weds - the testpieces part of the Kapitol Website is currently not linked.....

bassmittens likes this.
  20. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Check the just music website (and other of course!) and see what test pieces have had their prices removed prior to the announcement (cynical i know....!)