2018 Area test pieces

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by lawrence martin, Aug 22, 2017.

1. By this time last year people were confidently sharing views/ideas/rumours of potential area test piece, and this year it seems very quiet, so I thought I would start a thread.
    So what would people like to play, and what if anything have people heard?

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Not heard anything concrete at all...

Heard rumours that it's a new composition for 2nd, but not much more than that.

Be interesting to see what we get for champ and what everyone else gets for that matter - lots of great pieces and lots that wouldn't excite me much at all, we'll find out before too long, IIRC it was announced not long before lower section finals last year?

3. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Only rumours I've heard are Dimensions for 3rd and possibly a Vinter piece for Champ.....but that's all so far :)

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  4. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Dimensions from your same source as Darkwood last year Lindon?

bassmittens likes this.
  5. Tom-King

Oh dear... After two years of Vinter for Blackpool could really do without another one for areas.

stevetrom likes this.
  6. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

no it's not.... last year was a dead cert - this one is just hearsay atm

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  7. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

It's only what i've heard rumoured. I'm by no means the authority on this :)

8. Tom-King

I know, I know... Just really hoping it's not a Vinter :p

9. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

yeah - a bit of variety would be good for those bands....not that the choice up there is gonna affect me this year :(

10. tubamaest

tubamaest Member

Next year as in 2019 will mark 50yrs since Vinters death. I think we can expect a Vinter fest then. Can't see any Vinter in 2018 folks.
    R.

bassmittens likes this.
  11. Tom-King

I don't know... is it customary for them to pick pieces based purely on anniversaries of the composers deaths?

Either way, I could happily not play another Vinter piece for atleast a few years.

12. tubamaest

tubamaest Member

Let's see Tom!! But surely 2019 would be more fitting! Plus I've just done Vinter at Blackpool so hope not! Lol

13. Tom-King

Same - 2 years running now, fingers firmly crossed that it's Vinter at neither areas or Blackpool this year...

We'll see I guess, can't imagine it's likely to be another old one but that doesn't narrow it down much even if I'm right

14. tubamaest

tubamaest Member

Come on someone still the beans! Lol

bassmittens likes this.
  15. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Yeah - that makes more sense - maybe the panel are thinking that far ahead already ;)

16. matt_23

matt_23 New Member

If somebody posts the question on Facebook band related pages - you will get a better response

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I don't normally solicit intel on this - we'll have more than enough time to reconcile ourselves with the choice from January! - but it was fed into my ear recently that the top section piece will be "a Peter Graham piece, one used in the last couple of years at the Europeans". By my reckoning that could be either "The Triumph of Time" or "Metropolis 1927". TTOT I suspect is too hard for this contest. Metropolis would be a great choice on its own - but when we see that it's been chosen as the 2018 Masters piece too, we remember the groan that accompanied both Areas and Masters choosing "Cambridge Variations" in the same year only last year. And when I personally recall playing it as an own choice at the end of last year, I wish for something different! We had a lot of fun with it, but rehearsing any piece for three contests within a couple of years spoils it badly...

So I'm hoping that rumour's wrong...

18. matt_23

matt_23 New Member

I believe Metropolis is an option on the list for the Scottish Open this year too...

19. Tom-King

Depends how far we're going back I suppose?

Some super Peter Graham stuff out there, wouldn't mind On Alderly Edge or Harrison's Dream at all.

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

"In the last couple of years" limits us a bit, though I don't think it was meant precisely. "Harrison's Dream" is a great piece, one of PG's best. Quite a challenge for the Area, but not above and beyond by any means.