2017 Regional Test Piece Rumours

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by smaca, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Apologies - you are correct we had the joy of him adjudicating us at the area when he actually stated intonation didn't matter as it's fourth section...

I'm not interested in how many notes you chuck in but I would like a piece that is coherent and not just a mish-mash of stuff chucked together to form a test piece. St Andrew's is listed as beginner/youth band. The fourth section is neither.

2. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Pageantry..... Its a great piece but its also been played to death..........wake me up in April ................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

While that's probably true, the competition for quality original band music during and after the war was not intense. Scena Sinfonica, anyone? Sovereign Heritage? Denis Wright's Music for Brass? I've actually played Scena Sinfonica and it left a big dull grey blank area in my memory. In that company even the mediocre can seem streets ahead of the field.

However, I'd certainly concede that it's well-crafted by someone who had a solid, if very traditional, grounding in harmony, counterpoint and form - just as much of Ball's stuff was. It's just not my cup of tea and feels very old-fashioned. If the rumour's true, of course...

4. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Maybe. But in that case why not just announce it. Appreciate that the Nationals is a good landmark but that landmark is lost if its been disseminated across the internet.

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I sat down a while back to compile a list of favoured pieces for band from each decade. I really struggled with the 1940s - Rhapsody in Brass was a shoe-in, but I think I didn't manage to light on any others that I was willing to put on the list. The 1950s weren't great either, the odd stand-out like Resurgam aside.

The contrapuntal aspects of Goffin's writing weigh heavily with me, I think. I'm a great fan of J.S. Bach, as was Goffin. There is very little writing for brass band that is successfully polyphonic; all the more reason to like Goffin.

I don't get it entirely either. Think it's just one of those situations where a resolution was made to do something one way somewhat arbitrarily, then the arbitrariness of the decision meant that it's not respected thoroughly.

I suppose also that if someone associated with a particular band is on the panel and there's little harm in the information escaping early, then they'll likely brief their band on what their piece is - and then the chances of 25 people all keeping the secret are pretty low...

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  6. Anno Draconis

There are also the people involved in the recording, manufacture and distribution of the Regionals CD. For some pieces they'll just use an old recording, of course, but it's still likely that at least the management of the band concerned are aware of it.

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  7. Anno Draconis

You really need to get out more :D

ari01, Mesmerist and MoominDave like this.
  8. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Rhapsody for brass 2nd section ?

9. smaca

smaca Active Member

I think just a rumour at this point

bassmittens likes this.
  10. Tim skelper

Tim skelper New Member

They should follow the British opens example, they surprised everyone and announced next years test piece. No chance of us spending weeks speculating now!!!

Kev Mann likes this.
  11. smaca

smaca Active Member

Only a few days to go now...........wonder if rumours this year have been accurate.

12. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Extreme Makeover has now raised it head? Will the bottles be in both Bb and Eb, Treble or Bass Clef?. And what about the One man One instrument rule?

13. Euphonium Lite

Wasn't EM rumoured last year? Or earlier this year as a finals piece?

14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I was told, by a reliable source, that I shuldnt get too down about the prospect of Rhapsody in Brass, it may well be something else :)

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The EM rumour has been around for months.
    As for the bottles, the simplest answer must be if they're in a piece set for the contest then its ok to play them!

There's no such thing.
    I'm guessing your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you wrote that, but figured its worth clarifying, just in case! The rules actually say a brass player may only play one brass instrument, unless required by the score.

Slider1 likes this.
  16. Anno Draconis

That rumour's been shot down before. Not enough bands have access to a marimba.

17. Euphonium Lite

I wouldn't have thought too many 3rd section bands have access to a Vibraphone either, but it didn't stop them choosing Evolution 5 states of change in 2014. I know sound is slightly different but whats stopping it being played on a Xylo? At least for practice purposes?

18. euphantastic

euphantastic New Member

I'm going to throw a curve ball.
    It's not inside knowledge, but just a hunch.
    Harrison's Dream for Championship

19. Anno Draconis

Not enough octaves, usually. Plus I think there's a xylo part as well.

And marimba bars are bigger, so the distance between notes is a lot further.

20. smaca

smaca Active Member

Hunch based on what?Me thinks you know.