2017 Regional Test Piece Rumours

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by smaca, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

All I can say is that it isn't a prediction if you know for a fact what the pieces will be.

2. fartycat

fartycat Member

Better dig out all our tuned bottles and sterilize them then!

Accidental likes this.
  3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Pretty glad these rumour threads are usually wrong...

4. smaca

smaca Active Member

I sense an air of confidence with the first section rumour however.

bassmittens likes this.
  5. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I know you are just dying to know, but lets face it, unless you have an inside track like I do it is all guesswork. You will just have to wait until 12th September to find out.

6. smaca

smaca Active Member

Not dying to know,but interested to know...........you have no inside track as your own track record shows.60% accuracy poor stuff, and even that 60% was spoon fed to you.

tat likes this.
  7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I'm not sure that you know what you are talking about. I recommend Pokeman, that might be a little bit more on your level. :)

8. smaca

smaca Active Member

Tell ye what,we will carry on guessing and having fun while you lock yourself in your room with your big secret on planet zog.

PS,not too good at Pokeman,but proven record at Knockmanoot.Thats 100% accurate,and not 60% like your ramblings.

euphantastic likes this.
  9. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

So......any guesses or rumours for the other sections??

10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I had heard Le Rois d'Ys for the 1st Section

11. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Great piece

12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Interesting idea...

13. smaca

smaca Active Member

My Dad played that at National Finals in 1959...........he spoke often about that contest,and was always one of his favourite test pieces.

14. casanova

casanova Member

I'd be surprised if it was such an extreme choice for the top section, purely due to the amount of percussionists involved.

If i had to guess, id like something along the lines of Elgar Variations (i know its been done in other contests fairly recently)

15. Tubaloo

Tubaloo New Member

I've heard Pageantry for the top section which would be very disappointing!!!

16. smaca

smaca Active Member

I personally would not be disappointed as one of my favourites,but given this was used for 1st Section finals in 2005,I would be surprised if selected for Championship.

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If this were true, I would be deliriously happy, and would be actively seeking a top section band to either conduct, or play with. Far from disappointing, and still much too difficult (musically, if not technically) for all but the best bands.
    But I don't believe it ... unfortunately.

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I hope not. Great piece of "music", as ari01 says, but I would like to believe that the brass band movement had grown out of selecting outdated transcriptions/arrangements of classical music as a staple of its repertoire. They were great in their time, when there was a shortage of good quality original music for brass band, but not today, surely? Still, I am confident that I will continue to be disappointed ...

Matthew, ilovespheres and bassmittens like this.
  19. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

Couldn't agree more with you here. It's a lazy choice, great piece, but there are so many exciting, new (ish!) work out there we could be using. Some examples: L'Effet Divers - Stan Nieuwenhuis \ Swiss Colours - Bertrand Moren \ The Raid - Oliver Waespi \ Fire in the Sky - Peter Meechan \ Orion - Paul Lovatt-Cooper. (Some of these might be too hard or too long for the first section).

20. Le Roi d'Ys
    Would make a very good 1st Section Final test piece
    As for area ?