2016 Olympics go to...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Oct 2, 2009.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm hoping Chicago or Rio...
    Eastern Asia (China) had it in 2008, Europe (London) in 2012...I'd like to see it in North or South America in 2016.

Be nice to have it in Chicago as it is quite easy to get in and out of, but Rio would be great as I don't believe the Olympics have ever been there.

Any thoughts ahead of time? (Or as the result will like be announced soon) On the actual decision?

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to see Rio get it. There hasn't yet been a South American Olympics, and it's getting to the point where there are only about 20-30 cities in the world capable of hosting it. In South America probably only Rio and (maybe) Buenos Aires could cope with it.

Plus, there have been 2 in the USA in the last 25 years - LA in 84 and Atlanta in 96, and Atlanta wasn't a roaring success, if we're honest.

However I suspect the Obama charm offensive will hit the spot with the IOC and Chicago will get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Let's not forget Madrid and Tokyo. there have been surprises before in these IOC elections ;)

I was just reading a newspaper article about the Olympic election. Apparently the USOC (american olympic committee) is very unpopular amongst the other IOC members, because of some legal copyrights stuff, through which the USOC gets more than double the merchandising money than all other countries combined. And at the same time they don't want to contribute to organisations like the WADA anti-doping agency. A couple of very influential IOC members, like Hein Verbruggen, have been openly campaigning against Chicago because of all this.

So based on this, I'd say it doesn't look good for Chicago...

This was mentioned in the article as well. In previous elections, Tony Blair and Vladimir Putin have seemingly been able to sway the votes to get the Olympics to London and Sootchi respectively. But they did that by promising goverment funds for backing the games. Apparently Obama is NOT going to do that.

Oh, and one more disadvantage for Chicago: Atlanta :(

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't know that

BBC this morning had Chicago and Rio as front runners. I'd be surprised to see it back in the Far East or Europe so soon after Beijing and London, but as you say, there have been surprises before...

Plus, having just googled the Rio Carnival, I'm willing to bet that Rio can put on a better opening ceremony :eek: ;)

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Chicago out in first round, down to Rio & Madrid.

Go Rio!!

6. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

well done Rio, will be interesting to see them host the Olympics.