2016 Area Test Piece Rumours

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ploughboy, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Visions for our final this year, Cambrian for the area next year...... at least the Butlins piece is about Switzerland, not Wales....

2. tat

tat Member

still waiting the Bbmad predictions Pauli Walnuts?

3. tallyman

tallyman Member

Have you heard third section bands ?? Tuning, intonation,balance etc.etc...... all optional.

4. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Slight delay as on holiday in the Algarve . Here is what BbMad sent - I guess they changed their minds after they told him .
    Champ; Cambridge Variations
    1st; Spectrum
    2nd; Essay
    3rd Laudate Dominum
    4th Journal of Phileas Fogg

stevetrom and tat like this.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Didn't get the date right, either ...

stevetrom likes this.
  6. smaca

smaca Active Member

lol lol lol....from the man " who knew".

Even Ive got a riddy for him.

7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Actually I did know about the change but rather unfortunately and unlike Pauli, I have been without internet access.
    Also i did originally say 14th Sept but you will notice I changed it to the 15th.
    So basically I was correct.

8. smaca

smaca Active Member

Lol......these selections have been in stone for some time. You were wrong and didn't know.

stevetrom and Accidental like this.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Mmmm ... {*strokes chin*}

stevetrom likes this.
  10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Well I posted the top three so he didn't hear them from a reliable source

BrassBander87 likes this.
  11. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

And I said Journal of Phileas Fogg for the 4th section...

stevetrom likes this.
  12. BrassBander87

BrassBander87 New Member

So he basically guessed one for 3rd section and got it wrong... I would have preferred Laudate Dominum over Cambrian suite again though! I get memories of a sore head in Torquay whenever I hear that piece.

13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Any idea about when the CD will be available for digital download?

14. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Yes

15. Euphonium Lite

Sometime between now and March 1 doesn't count....

16. simonium

simonium Member

As a first sectioneer, I find it amusing that the same people who decide that Cross Patonce, Resurgam and The Plantagenets are suitable for 2nd section bands then decide Essay is suitably taxing for 1st section bands.

lynsey83 and Slider1 like this.
  17. tallyman

tallyman Member

Totally agree, first section bands have no more chance of playing Essay properly than second section bands have of playing resurgam properly.When will they realise test pieces don't get easier with time ??

Accidental likes this.
  18. Euphonium Lite

I don’t think it’s necessarily that test pieces get easier in time, but that players filter their way slowly down the system – as Championship section players get replaced by the next up and coming superstars, some will find their way into first and second section bands. Theyre perhaps familiar with some of these pieces and the other members perhaps match up to them. Some of the players they replace then end up further down and so on…. (I know Moomin made a tongue in cheek comment about Year of the Dragon, but I can think of at least 3 or 4 in my own 4th section band that have played the piece in the past). So whilst the pieces don’t get any easier, the levels of playing generally get better across the sections
    Of course I appreciate this can vary from region to region, and even band to band which means that there is a lot of disparity. It would also explain perhaps how Wales has dominated lower section banding of late, as outsiders (eg Glyn Williams) come into the likes of Cory and Tredegar, with players filtering their way downwards

19. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I suppose the other argument that one could make is that the pieces aren't getting any easier and the players (at a given level) aren't necessarily any better.... but that the criteria we're being judged on has shifted somewhat.
    By setting technically more difficult testpieces for each section, the judgement becomes easier and less subjective - fewer bands play all the notes cleanly and more of the judgement becomes about basic technique and intonation and less about more subjective (adjudicators taste) criteria such as musical expression and conductor interpretation.

20. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

How can someone with a name like Glyn Williams be called an outsider