2015 Area piece rumours??????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adamskied, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Torchbearer
    London Overture
    Variations on Maccabaeus
    Evolution
    ?

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Courtesy of all4brass.com
    Regional Finals 2015 Test Pieces Announced
    The Regional Finals 2015 Test Pieces have been announced in timely fashion, just prior to the National Finals. They are:
    Championship Section
    The Torchbearer (Peter Graham) available from Gramercy Music
    First Section
    A London Overture (Philip Sparke) available from Studio Music
    Second Section
    Variations on Maccabeus (Kevin Norbury) available from S.P. & S.
    Third Section
    Evolution: Five Stages of Change (Philip Sparke) available from Anglo Music Press
    Fourth Section
    An English Pastorale (Dean Jones) available from Lake Music Publishing

3. FlugelCave

FlugelCave New Member

Mr Gregory - Do you believe me now??!

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

All five Regionals 2015 test pieces are now listed on the World of Brass website.

The Regionals 2015 CD is available for just £10 when purchased with the music (score and parts) for any Regionals 2015 test piece from World of Brass.

Championship Section; The Torchbearer (Peter Graham)

First Section; A London Overture (Philip Sparke)

Second Section; Variations on Maccabeus (Kevin Norbury)

Third Section; Evolution: Five States of Change (Philip Sparke)

Fourth Section; An English Pastorale (Dean Jones)

The CD offer is available, online, over the telephone and at our trade stand in Cheltenham this weekend.

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Oh ye of little faith ;)

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit of a stretch to describe "Torchbearer" as SA music. It might be more accurately subtitled "Variations on an Original Theme by Eric Ball". The thematic material upon which Peter Graham has based his material comes from the Trio section of Ball's "Torchbearer" March, which, it could be argued was in effect 100% "original", in the sense that Eric Ball didn't incorporate an existing hymn or religious song into the piece, rather he used a melody which he had composed and someone else had put religious words to. This was Eric Ball's way of "getting round" the SA ruling at the time which said that all published SA Brass band music had to incorporate at least one hymn or song with religious lyrics. Ball would simply write original music and have religious words accompany it so he could subsequently use his own material in his band music; he did it on several occasions. The "religious" component of the Torchbearer's march (ie. the Letter 'C' section, based on the "Out there!" chorus from the SA Officer Training College 1933 sessional song) does not, to the best of my knowledge feature in Peter Grahams "Torchbearer", therefore it is difficult to justify describing the variations even as "religiously based", let alone SA music.

7. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Can someone please explain how at 9.30 this morning Evolution was £75 and now that word is out that it is the 2015 3rd section area test piece it has gone up to £80?

8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

I've just spoken to Hal Leonard, who distribute this for me (and set the prices, by the way) and they say this is not the case at all. It's been £81.00 for quite some time now.

But they are apparently offering 10% discount for orders placed directly with them until the end of October.

9. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Thanks Philip, obviously the site I was looking at this morning (which was just a music distributor) had not updated there site to show this new price but have this afternoon.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

In any case, a £5 raise is hardly profiteering!

11. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

We all knew it was going to be torchbearer.....but got a few thinking of other pieces....lol

12. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Is this a new recording of Torchbearer by Dyke or the one from their Finals win in 2009? I already have the latter.

13. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Neither, it's from disc one of The Peter Graham Collection.

14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

No, we were just hoping it was something else. The last time the Championship section had anything that was even remotely forward-looking was in 2003. Fed up with playing pastiche music.

15. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I got an email from R Smith I think this morning and it was priced £85, however Just Musik have it listed at £80. Shop around would be my advice (Obviously 10% off is the best on here so far though. . ).

16. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Ive had a quick look at the score for the S4 piece (and a listen to the small excerpts on the publishers website) and Im quite looking forward to it....

17. smaca

smaca Active Member

All about opinions and respect yours........for me, I rehearsed, performed and got great result on Prague. But for me it was torture and soul destroying to rehearse........ my wife, Mum,daughters(who know nothing about bands and support once every 5 years if lucky) came to this contest and did not enjoy what their ears were subjected to.Perhaps many did enjoy, but I sure did not.

The biggest test I still see in test pieces is who can play all dynamics, in tune, including pp, and for personal enjoyment some lyrical music and opportunity to express.....the bands that do well are those that can do this. Crash, Bang, Wallop pieces where usual dynamic varies between f-fff and with Euph /Cornet Cadenzas that only blue whales can hear is not the complete test

Give me a Philip Sparke, Peter Graham,Philip Wilby piece anyday.......these guys really understand brass bands.

Once again, I think panel have made great choices.

18. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

The royal 'we' being used to great effect here.

2003 (Prague) - in my opinion was a right duffer. Painful to rehearse and even more painful to listen to. Rienzi wasnt much cop either. I have to say tho, the panel cant just keep picking the good olf favs like Paganinni every other year either.

My feeling is that a lot of the anti SA comments on here would not be cropping up if it was called by a different title.

19. Still no mention on 4barsrest of the test piece choices. Shame. It would be good to get some analysis of what they think.

20. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I agree. looks good :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.