2015 Area piece rumours??????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adamskied, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Heard a rumour it likely to be Revelations. ...
  2. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

As long as it's no harder than st Magnus then I'm all for it.

Quite fancy a barchester suite by Derek bourgeois for third section

But for champs would like a shot at Earthquake! By Jaan de Haan
  3. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Great piece, too long.
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Perhaps a single Revelation then?
  5. nethers

nethers Active Member

If I want to discuss 2016 area piece rumours should I start a new thread? :)
  6. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

2015 will be 150th Birthday of the Salvation Army. As a tribute, could they pick reasonable test pieces for each section from the Army repertoire/composers?
  7. Euph4Rob

Euph4Rob New Member

I had a premonition it could be Rococo Variations
  8. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

For many years Salvationists were barred from playing with 'outside' contesting bands and salvation army music was not officially available for any other bands.

Some SA music may be very good but it was (or should) not have be written to be a test piece.
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Why not? It seems a nice idea.
  10. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

Understood but I did deliberately put SA 'composers' not just 'repertoire'. I agree that music not originally written as a test piece may not be appropriate for (particularly the top section/s) contests in 2014. However, using the above criteria, you could basically pick anything by Ball, Redhead, Downie, Graham, RSA etc etc. However, some works not originally intended as test pieces can be a great test for bands. Also, if it were to be a sort of tribute to the influence of the Army on banding then it would make sense to try to pick pieces that were most inlfuential.
  11. Lets get a great work by a european composer for championship, Sketches from Nowhere, Seid, Chain and thats just 3 of many i could suggest!
  12. JR

JR Member

Agreed - but the problem is likely to be a timing constraint as much as anything (extreme difficulty notwithstanding)

With regard to suitablity of SA pieces dont forget many were scored for 4 troms (occasionally 5) - see On Ratcliff Highway as an example and percussion may be limited - RSA's Seascapes (written for finals in 1988) would be a much better choice

I'd also like to see the Music Panel declare their support for young composers and publish their medium term strategy/criteria etc - some signs that they're moving in the right direction I think, though I wish they would announce the pieces immediately after they choose them

John R
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Now that would be a really good choice. A great piece and I wouldn't mind having a go at it again though the passage of time may have dimmed my abilities somewhat !

~ Mr Wilx
  14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

why don't we just copy and paste the threads for 2014, 2013 area piece rumours etc etc??
  15. oliwlliams

oliwlliams New Member

Heard it was Goldberg 2012 for the third section! Brave choice ;)
  16. smaca

smaca Active Member

Heard this as well tonight.
  17. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

a pound to a pinch of s**t the 4th & probably 3rd section will be the usual mind numbing stuff to rehearse that is more likely to drive people away from the movement rather than attract players.
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Have we not just had a Sally Army piece? I've tried to forget about St Magnus but it keeps haunting my deepest, darkest nightmares. Pass the valium...

Happy to have a crack at Revelation, but I fear it might be a safer choice than that. Any chance we could have a piece NOT based on religion?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  19. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

At about 18 minutes long I can't see it being Revelation, although I do love the piece!
  20. smaca

smaca Active Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there a time limit on Regional pieces?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.